Bittersweet Chickie day

The Harvest Moon Chicken

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Southern California
My three chickies were supposed to arrive tomorrow, but when i got home from school i found a slip in the door saying that the post office had come to deliver a package but we werent there. We called the PO and they said that the chicks were there. we went to go get them, when we arrived they said that one was dead and the other three were huddled togeather, (i guess they sent me an extra one) the extra dead one looked like a japanese bantam, resembled one of the ones still alive, although the other japanese looked very cold and wet. so i held her in my hands the whole way home. the silkie and brahma were doing find, just thirsty. when we got home we saw the "dead" one move it's beak, we tried to save it, tryed to make it eat and drink but it did neither, i held it to the lamp but after a while it made strange convultions and then died. the other japanese was doing okay, but it's eyes were almost always closed, it could stand but wouldnt/couldnt walk, it would drink only if i put its beak in the water, but it wouldnt eat. after a really long time she was sleeping but woke up with the same type of convultions the other one had. then it went limp but kept breathing. this went on for a really long time, and i felt really bad for her, but eventually she died along with her sister. I was really sad to have to had seen her die, i felt so bad for her, but i tred to keep her as warm and comphy as possible. I am going to burry both of them in my yard.

on a happier note, the Buff Braham bantam (named Winna, long story) and the blue silkie (probably named Luna) are doing fine, and are really funny. Winna keeps doing that thing where they fall asleep standing up then fall over and wake themselves up! they are so cute!

i am planing to order more soon. I just want to say that i do not think that the death of the two chicks was mypetchicken.com's fault. both chicks died the same way, making me think that they may have been sick. I will order from them again when i buy some more.

haha, sorry for the long post, i'm bad at summing things up. i'll post pictures of the two cuties when i get the pictures!

Last edited:
Aw...I'm sorry that those two died.
hit.gif

I hope your Winna and Luna are good birdies! Can't wait for pics!

Quote:
Keep a close eye on Luna and Winna, because most chicken illnesses are contagious between chicks. And let My Pet Chicken know that you received 2 sick chicks--it's the hatchery's responsibility to send out healthy chicks and they need to know if there's an illness so they can work to get rid of it.

i let them know that two died, and Luna and Winna are looking very heathy! i'll post pictures soon, but i first need to take pictures with the chicks out of the red heat lamp, it makes them look purple and red...
tongue.png

i dont really know. i think my extra was the same breed as the other i ordered so i think that they probably came from the same hatch. i didnt know that they would add an extra, when the post office people told me that one was dead and that the other three were in the corner i did a double take.

The Orpington in our batch had been pecked at in the comb area, but thankfully the injury wasnt too bad. I think I got a boy barred rock instead of a girl. Is that possable?

ya they had straw and a warmer thingie. i dont think it was the cold, as both chicks died the same way, and they both looked like the same breed. i think they may have been sick. the one that lived for a while couldnt walk, which i dont think has anything to do with cold.

Back
Top Bottom