Bittersweet Loss

Corey NC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
North Carolina
I just sold 4 hens and now my layer flock is down to 8 Buff Orpingtons and I'm finally done downsizing. I am glad to have fewer to take care of and of the lesser exspense but going from a flock of 30 to 7 is a big deal.

Though I do still have my batams (a silkie and a cochin) and a brooder full of chicks. 8 of the chicks are Buff Orp pullets that will eventually join the other orps and my 6 seramas that will eventually be my new breeding flock.

Oh and I can't forget the 30 some eggs (seramas and secret swap) going into the bator.

So I guess I'm not free of the addicition yet but my coop sure does feel empty.....

Last edited:
It's an odd feeling, isn't it? I left one of Suede's beautiful 12 week old sons at the feedstore today and I felt bad leaving him alone in a cage, but I just can't keep them all. That's the problem with hatching, isnt it? Sounds like you're going to concentrate on your Buff Orps and Seramas.

It is very sad but thankfully I have been able to find all of my girls great homes that I know will take great care of them so that makes me feel a lot better.

Yep it'll be just the seramas and the orps (plus the two batams that I just couldn't stand to sell). I was trying to figure out who I was going to keep and sell when I first started downsizing and my first thought was that there was no way that I could sell Moses. So that meant that I was just going to keep my orps expecially since 5 of them are from my orginial 25 that I started out with (they are going on 5 years) and I feel like I had promised them that they'd live out their lives with me.

and well I just LOVE my seramas they are seriously the sweetest cutest thing I have ever had. I need to get some pictures up of them, they are really growing.

67960579.gif
I was trying not to say that, LOL!

Back
Top Bottom