Bizarre behavior.

Hi there, thank you very much for the detailed response.

I’m in Australia, and I have no rooster so the eggs are not fertile. I force her off the nest a couple of times a day and collect eggs as soon as they are laid. I also lock the coop when the other two have finished laying for the day so that she stays out.

I guess it will pass?

Further update.

All three hens stayed in the coop for about 18 hours. Eventually I forced them out as I was concerned that they hadn’t eaten or drank in so long. They made a fuss initially, then got back to being chickens for a couple of hours. They ate, drank and dusted themselves. After a little while they started becoming very agitated, trying desperately to get back into the coop. They were jumping on the roof, picking at the mesh, peeking through the windows. They just wanted back inside. So I let them, two are on the nest, one is sitting on the roosting pole. Can somebody tell me what is going on?

Surely I can’t have three broody hens all at the same time???

Last edited:
I’m doing my best to make friends with this chicken and you want me to lock her in a cage for five days?

I think these chickens hate me as it is, and if it feels like every move I make causes further animosity.

Cruel to be kind? ;)
They are chickens, they don't feel the same way about things as we do. All those feelings are yours. She is just trying to do her job and you are just trying to do yours. It is very hard to manage a broody hen and putting them in a cage can work.

I took this picture in the middle of summer in Florida. One broody hen in the flock's favorite box. Four in the box and more lined up! There are 6 boxes in this particular space. They only use one.
20170509_162640_001.jpg

If you want to break their broodiness.
But.... when you say they are 'in the coop' all that time, are they actually in a nest?
Do they sleep on a roost at night or in the nests?

This morning, they are positioned exactly as they were last night. As though they are statues…

I’m a Chicken newbie, and I could have three brooders at once, what are the chances!

I just hope they’re not sick. I take some comfort from the fact that they are very spritely for the couple of hours that they spend outside of the coop

Attachments

• 6F9A837D-DBE5-498D-967C-D9AF4124110B.jpeg
    6F9A837D-DBE5-498D-967C-D9AF4124110B.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 95444582-BDEF-402C-AAA6-13A5477B2E8B.jpeg
    95444582-BDEF-402C-AAA6-13A5477B2E8B.jpeg
    527 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom