Bizarre illness in my flock! Help please?

goldeneggtees

Fluffy Butt Nut
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
You are never going to believe what is going on with my flock.

As I was dealing with the nightmare of putting Houdina down (she had reproductive issues which was found due to a necropsy), I noticed 1 of my buff orps not acting right. Then as I was burying little houdina, I noticed another 2 hens acting lethargic. They would not open their eyes at all. I rushed the worse one of the bunch to my friend and she gave fluids as they probably didn't drink all day. Two of them seemed to get better but I kept the worse one in overnight. Now she seems perkier this morning, still not 100% though.

I go into the coop and I have another 2 on the roost, won't come down and are extremely sleepy. I can't believe this is happening. I did notice there was diarrhea on the roosts. I think I need to get myself some iv fluids and know how to give it to them. I know if the ladies don't eat or drink all day, it can't be good.

Their feed hasn't been changed so I don't think it's that. Now I am wondering what in the world is going on? Maybe it's the panacur wormer I gave to them (since I saw cecal woms in their poop and thought that may have been the cause of Houdina's illness, turns out, it wasn't) but the vet wasn't sure it could be since their last dose was on Saturday and she thought the reaction would have been sooner. But I did feed back their eggs to them since we are not supposed to eat them. I didn't want them going to waste. Maybe it's all the residual wormer that is affecting them. Who knows????????????

I wonder did they eat something poisonous, like a plant or something. Did someone slip them something? That's almost what it seems like. I do have a back property that backs to a road and they are free ranging back there so it's a possibility.

I don't like this part of chicken keeping, I can tell you that. UGH! UGH! UGH! Any advice?

This is heartbreaking!

I'm new here, and new to chicken-keeping in general...but I am a vet tech, and with any sick animal like this I would of course recommend isolation (keeping them penned up, no free-ranging, in case they did encounter something out there?) and a total clean-out of their coop and enclosure...the more you can sterilize, the better.

Something in their food or water? Maybe a bad batch of feed?

If possible, isolating the sick birds from the healthy ones would be ideal.

I'm sorry, this is all I have. Maybe bringing stool sample into a veterinarian to have them check for any possible parasites infecting the flock?

Hi, thanks Inkydragon, it seems it's always one thing or another with the hens. Guess they are fragile creatures. I am happy to report that they all seem much better this afternoon. I gave them electrolytes in their water and none of them seem sleepy anymore. Whew! What a relief!

Hi, thanks Inkydragon, it seems it's always one thing or another with the hens. Guess they are fragile creatures. I am happy to report that they all seem much better this afternoon. I gave them electrolytes in their water and none of them seem sleepy anymore. Whew! What a relief!

I thought it was another RAT problem Howlinggood LOLOLOL!!
Seriously though, I'm glad your birds are making a good recovery. Panacur is fenbendazole, sold as Safeguard at feed stores etc. It is a very good wormer and very safe for use in chickens. It would take 10 times the dose for birds to show an adverse reaction.
It is always best to discard eggs after worming. It can extend the withdrawal period and help build resistance to the wormer next time they are wormed with panacur/safeguard.

You can use this: Herbal Worm Formula Kit to help prevent parasites & they do not build a resistance to it.
smile.png

Worm Formula Instructions
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom