Black Acres: The chickens that saved me

Pics
Alright. So I told y’all I’d been busy with my daughter and all of her school activities this week. She was nominated for Winter Royalty at her school and the coronation was last night at halftime of the basketball game. SHE WON! My beautiful, smart, talented, witty girl is the 2022 Winter Royalty Queen!
View attachment 2962161

View attachment 2962162
Very lovely congratulations 💖

:hit:barnie I have lost this thread YET AGAIN. BYC has some sort of problem, or I somehow missed the notifications.

Did I miss anything? Can anybody catch me up to dat on what’a happening?
Not sure what you may have missed. We discussed our non-chicken animals. We complained about frozen tundra. Shared some pictures. My daughter was crowned Queen at Winter Royalty. Hen saddles. Chicken diapers. Not sure what else. We strayed way off topic for a bit. I’m going to continue off topic today with a story about how I’ve acquired a few other animals without Ol Sourfaces blessing. 😆

Not sure what you may have missed. We discussed our non-chicken animals. We complained about frozen tundra. Shared some pictures. My daughter was crowned Queen at Winter Royalty. Hen saddles. Chicken diapers. Not sure what else. We strayed way off topic for a bit. I’m going to continue off topic today with a story about how I’ve acquired a few other animals without Ol Sourfaces blessing. 😆
Ah ok, thanks! Check out this thread: Dot

Quite a while back, I promised more stories about the animals I’ve “snuck” into the family. So here’s one about the hedgehogs.

Browsing the dreaded FB one day, I came across pictures of an adorable hedgehog at our local animal shelter. I thought, “oohhhh! What a cute, prickly thing! I want it!” So I quickly printed the adoption application form, filled it out, grabbed my youngest daughter and jumped in the car. We arrived at the shelter less than an hour after seeing the adorable hedgie on FB but were told he was already gone. Incredibly bummed, we left with heads down. Arriving at home, DH was relieved to see we were not successful. But now I was on a mission. I had decided we NEEDED a hedgehog.

I made a status to my FB asking if anyone had one to rehome. I scoured Craigslist for weeks. I followed up on every reply to my post. None of them panned out either due to price or distance. I was still determined so I ordered all the things I would need to properly house and care for a hedgehog so that I’d actually be prepared when I found one and stashed everything in a closet, out of the husbands view. A month or so later, DH had to go about 3 hours away for work. About mid-way through that day I remembered a breeder I had seen along the route he was working for the day. I hurriedly searched for her information again and found it. I called her up and asked if she had any available. SHE DID! She sent me pictures and videos of the ones she had, I picked one out, paid over the phone, and told her my husband would be by before 6pm to pick it up.

Now I had to call my husband. The call went something like this:
Me: Hey babe. What time do you think you’ll be headed home?
DH: I should be done by 4. Why, what’s up?
Me: Wellll, I need you to swing by and pick up a hedgehog.
DH: NOPE! I’m not buying you a hedgehog.
Me: Okay. But that sucks because it’s already paid for.
DH: Are you kidding me right now? Why do you do this?
Me: I’m not kidding. She’s expecting you before 6.
DH: Good grief. Where the heck are you going to put it? You don’t even have a cage. Just get your money back.
Me: Actually, I do. I have everything I need and I can’t get my money back.
DH: I don’t understand why you torture me. Send me the address.

Later that evening, I had a hedgehog. I named her Beth.
3BE689FB-8461-481F-A06B-583A1B209930.jpeg

72391319-3A28-442B-8EE2-6DF5905C38A0.jpeg

Last edited:
Quite a while back, I promised more stories about the animals I’ve “snuck” into the family. So here’s one about the hedgehogs.

Browsing the dreaded FB one day, I came across pictures of an adorable hedgehog at our local animal shelter. I thought, “oohhhh! What a cute, prickly thing! I want it!” So I quickly printed the adoption application form, filled it out, grabbed my youngest daughter and jumped in the car. We arrived at the shelter less than an hour after seeing the adorable hedgie on FB but were told he was already gone. Incredibly bummed, we left with heads down. Arriving at home, DH was relieved to see we were not successful. But now I was on a mission. I had decided we NEEDED a hedgehog.

I made a status to my FB asking if anyone had one to rehome. I scoured Craigslist for weeks. I followed up on every reply to my post. None of them panned out either due to price or distance. I was still determined so I ordered all the things I would need to properly house and care for a hedgehog so that I’d actually be prepared when I found one and stashed everything in a closet, out of the husbands view. A month or so later, DH had to go about 3 hours away for work. About mid-way through that day I remembered a breeder I had seen along the route he was working for the day. I hurriedly searched for her information again and found it. I called her up and asked if she had any available. SHE DID! She sent me pictures and videos of the ones she had, I picked one out, paid over the phone, and told her my husband would be by before 6pm to pick it up.

DH: Good grief. Where the heck are you going to put it? You don’t even have a cage. Just get your money back.

View attachment 2963644
View attachment 2963645
I Luvs yer hubby he's awesome 🤗

View attachment 2963644
View attachment 2963645
But of course... a hedgehog. Now I'm kinda feeling sorry for ol sourface. He was totally ambushed lol. The only thing that could possibly redeem you is that little hedgie face ♡
Is he as soft as he looks? 😍💕

Back
Top Bottom