Black Acres: The chickens that saved me

Pics

blackacres

Wrangler of the Tiny Raptors
Oct 10, 2021
Topeka, KS
Part One

I’ve been hesitant to start my flock story for a few reasons.
1) I am a novice chicken tender and just began my flock 4 months ago.
2) There are so many wonderful stories from other members that I am trying to read about and most of my time on BYC is spent doing that.
3) I’m not sure how much I have to say yet.

Alas, I decided to start anyway with plans to keep up so that I will have a diary of sorts to look back at over the years and see where it all began.

So here goes nothing. I’ve loved chickens my whole life. My grandparents raised them and as children, we would help catch them for Grandpa when they needed inspection, medical treatment or it was time to butcher. We also collected eggs several times a day. I honestly do not remember what breeds there were. I only know they were dual purpose and that Grandpa would incubate in a tall shelf incubator that held 100’s of eggs a a time.

Fast forward to my adult life. I married and settled down in a small, rural town with a population of under 1,000. I wanted to get a few chickens for eggs. I didn’t know of anyone in town that had them so I phoned the water department/police department/city hall (all the same thing in this tiny town,) and was given a firm “NO.” I was honestly shocked. But followed the rules and did not get chickens.

Over the years I did start to notice a few homes with small coops in the back and began to get excited. Apparently, the rules had changed! As quickly as I got excited, my hopes were crushed again as an announcement was sent out to all town residents to have their chickens off the property within 30 days or face fines. The rules hadn’t changed after all.

I lived there for 19 years. In April of 2020, we bought a new home about 10 minutes South of the town on 2.5 acres. Before we even moved in I was telling my husband how excited I was because I could finally have chickens! He was not as excited. He kept saying we had other things to concentrate on with our new property before we began adding animals to it. 8 months after moving, we then purchased the empty land beside us; another 2.5 acres. Surely with 5 acres he won’t deny me chickens now! Wrong! He would remind me we didn’t have anywhere to house them and he didn’t have time to build something as he had his own projects to concentrate on.

Then my friend got chickens and I lived vicariously through hers and that was enough to keep me satisfied. That satisfaction was short-lived when she over hatched and had far more chicks than she had space for and, alas, I hatched the plan of how I would finally get my chickens!

Part Two

One day, while my husband was distracted by helping some friends clear brush, I went out to the garage an emptied a large, plastic tote and set it up on a folding table. I then threw a pet carrier in the back of my Blazer and set off to TSC. I purchased chick starter, some electrolytes, feed dishes, waterers and a heating plate. Can you guess where I went next? Yep, straight to my friends house.

We spent a while chatting about breeds and trying to decide which ones I’d like to give a go. I was very indecisive, so I settled on several different ones, 9 total. We loaded them into the carrier and I set off for home with my adorable 4 week old baby chickens screaming in the back. On my way home, my husband called. Part way through the conversation he said, “where are you? Is that chickens I hear?” I let out a nervous giggle and came clean. “Yes, those are chickens you hear and they are with me in the Blazer.” He then asks, “where are you taking then?” When I said I was taking them home, I swear the sky got dark and a tornado quickly swept through. He was not happy and he sure let me know it. “Why do you do these thing? Where are you going to put them? I told you to wait. I don’t have time for this!” Amongst many other things that were said. I told him they were only 4 weeks old and that I already had a brooder made up and ready and that would give me plenty of time to figure out their permanent housing.

I got home with my babies and set up the brooder and placed them all in. They quickly settled in and began chirping away, eating and drinking. I sat and watched them for what felt like hours. I couldn’t believe it. I finally had my chickens!

Attachments

• 4AE9E0A9-1D85-45BF-9E82-A99F1AC81751.jpeg
    4AE9E0A9-1D85-45BF-9E82-A99F1AC81751.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 73
Part 3

What breeds did I bring home?
One Dark Brahma
One Silver Laced Wyandotte
One Dark Blue Laced Wyandotte
One Cream Legbar
One Barred Rock
One Lavender Orpington
One satin smooth silkie
Two white Silkies

I started with a mixed flock so I would have a variety and hopefully figure out which breeds I really enjoyed the most. The Silkies I got simply because I love them.

So at this point, I’ve had my babies in the tote for about 2 weeks, meaning they are 6 weeks old. They were growing SO quickly and I needed to get them more space and a way to spend some time outside, protected, during the day. I had an old play pen that seemed would be suitable for giving them more room than the tote so I set that up for them.
F7323A04-57DC-4BEE-9639-D8757F992AD5.jpeg

But I still needed something outside. This was on a Sunday and my husband was leaving on a work trip the next morning and would gone all week. He, begrudgingly, built me a 4ftx8ft enclosure for them to be outdoors a few hours a day. Oh, the freedom they must have felt the first time I took them out. The pecked at the grass, took their fist dust baths, and basked in the warmth of the sun. I’d place it right outside my office window so I could keep an eye on them the whole time they were out and when the sun moved and left them no shade, I’d go out and drag the enclosure back into the shade.
FF19848D-1A20-4945-9A79-62B1299C8BEC.jpeg

Every morning I would clean the play pen and place fresh feed and water. Then every afternoon, I would scoop up each bird, one by one, and place them in the tote; carry the tote out to the yard and then retrieve each bird again and place them in the enclosure. I also drug their food, water, and heat plate back and forth from the play pen to the outdoor enclosure. Then around 4pm, I’d repeat the process in reverse and settle them all in for the night. They grew at a very fast rate in the week my husband was gone. When he returned home, he declared that we had to figure out a coop ASAP. That was music to my ears! And so the coop search began.

Part 4 - the Coop search

I looked into building one and quickly realized I didn’t have that much time to dedicate as I needed them in an ample space soon. Also, the cost of building supplies is outrageous right now. So I turned to Craigslist and Marketplace. I knew the tiny pre-fab ones were not going to work for the number of birds I had so I didn’t even bother with those. There were plenty of well crafted and beautiful coops built by others but they were out of the budget I had set. So I switched gears and started looking for a shed that I could convert.

I made a post on my FB and my best friends Mom responded that she had a shed that was in excellent condition and we could have it in trade for removing some scrap furniture and old carpet they’d sat outside. They are elderly and did not have the ability to load and haul these things themselves so I was happy to help, even without the shed incentive. Boy, were we in for a surprise.

Two days later, we arrived with a truck to load up the items to haul away. There was far more than just some old, broken furniture and ripped out carpet. We borrowed a skid loader to make the job easier and hooked up an old truck bed trailer so we could haul two loads at a time. In all, my husband hauled out six truckloads of rubbish and totaled nearly 20 hours of his time spanning three days. He was happy to help them, but pretty upset with me for “all this chicken nonsense.” Once the rubbish was gone, we had to devise a plan to retrieve the shed from the corner of the property. So we walked back to the shed to decide how to move it. This was the first time we’d actually seen the shed. It was in pretty rough shape and we weren’t even sure it would withstand being loaded, hauled home, and unloaded. But I was committed. I needed this shed. My chickens needed this shed. My husband needed me to not be impulsive and bring home chickens before having the shed.

In my defense, he says it was impulsive but I disagree. I’d been speaking of chickens for years, and quite frequently in the prior months. He just kept putting me off. So I kind of forced his hand. It was cruel, I know. But after 18 years of marriage, he should know I always figure out how to get what I want. Yes, I’m kind of a brat.

Thankfully we had the borrowed skid loader or we would have never been able to load this shed. I believe it’s a 6x8 and was originally a metal garden shed. They had wrapped the shed with plywood and painted it to make it more sturdy and better withstand the elements. They had been using it for goats and it had not been cleaned. The floor was nearly rotted through and it was full of straw and goat poop. I grabbed a shovel and went to work clearing it out. Then we grabbed some ratchet straps and started loading it on to the skid loader. After several attempts and rebracing the joists, we had it loaded.

C46399B4-B261-468D-9736-443C9C5261BD.jpeg

Most of the shed survived the 30 minute trip home, only losing a few roof panels. By this time it was pitch dark so we parked the trailer and went to bed. I was up early the next morning, excited and ready to get going on this shed project. My dear husband was not so eager but out to the shed we went. Somehow, we managed to get it unloaded in one piece. It was a miracle. The picture really doesn’t show how bad of shape it was in. Most of the flaws hidden by the plywood. My husband is a collector of anything he thinks he may ever possibly need in his lifetime. We had a friend that had torn down a large composite wood deck so we decided to wrap the shed again using this material. We also used this material to sturdy up the floor. My husband set off to the lumber yard to get lumber to frame the run and I went back to TSC for chicken wire and hardware cloth and several other chicken related items I decided I needed. After the shed was wrapped on three sides, (we still haven't finished the front) the building of the run was ready to start.
C30ABAA5-50DF-49BE-9124-E97C4480F17A.jpeg

4344F1A9-C8FA-4562-A749-4C90EE841BAC.jpeg

Last edited:
Part 6 - finishing touches

I threw down some bedding in the coop and my wonderful husband went on to add pop doors and ladders.

F046EA81-9D64-4F6A-8AC4-55ED133BD40F.jpeg

EC7FB570-9019-46AC-B4C5-ED0CC73783E4.jpeg

EF426419-F810-42FE-9FB3-B71E74C532C8.jpeg

I was now satisfied and the babies (now 8 weeks old) were ready for their new, spacious home! I hurried to the play pen to load them into the dreaded plastic tote one last time. I carried the tote full of tiny raptors into the run and sat down to watch. One by one, they all ventured out to see what was going on. Boots, my dark Brahma, just sat on the edge of the tote for a while, taking it all in.

DF60D80E-FD90-4D47-A8FC-1E174E11082F.jpeg

They were all very happy with their new found freedom. So much room for activities! Over the next few weeks, I added more and more clutter to the run for them. Additional feeding stations and more waterers. I spent hours in the run with them each day, just watching and observing. My heart was full. My babies had a beautiful and safe space. My chicken dreams were coming true.

9B6B730A-7718-431D-A865-1381266DA42C.jpeg

Off Topic -

It’s been a long and emotional day and somehow it’s only 3pm. Took toys, treats and blankets for the dogs and cats at Jefferson County Humane Society. Then picked up a beautiful, fresh Christmas cross for Grandma and Grandpa. I lost them both this year, only 23 days apart. I then proceeded to the cemetery. I straightened up all the decorations already there and laid down the cross. Then I spread out my blanket and laid down next to them talking, thinking, crying, questioning. I always seem to stay quite a spell when I go to visit because each time, I hate to leave. It’s the only place I feel truly close to them. Today has been hard for my heart. I’ll get back to my chickens after bit. Right now, I just need to unplug.
61EAE147-208A-4836-B76D-197EEF29289F.jpeg

Y’all. I’m so busted! The pair of breeder Seramas that were due to ship January 10; you know, the ones I haven’t told my husband about?! Well, THEY’RE HERE! My mail carrier showed up with them today. :barnie I had no idea he’d shipped them early. I was NOT prepared. I planned to get through Christmas and then tell my husband and acquire all the needed supplies to properly keep delicate Seramas in the Winter months. I had NOTHING. No cage, no extra feeder or waterer. No heat source. I went into full panic mode. I quickly set up the play pen, placed them in it and hopped in my car.
4D1D3F35-9A40-4CA1-AE3A-DC8F7EFF4698.jpeg

Off to town I went, in search of all the items I needed. Quick stop for a cage, then across town to TSC for a heat plate, feed dish and water dish. Secured all I need for now and headed home.

Got the cage set up and filled the bottom with bedding. The set up the heat plate and put out food and water. Once the heat plate was warm, I transferred my beautiful Seramas to their new home. Whew. What. A. Day.

436F4A17-E1A5-4E61-8B84-63327EB91E7A.jpeg

45B7640E-291B-4C5C-90F3-5D6E39082054.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom