Black Acres: The chickens that saved me

Pics
Here is a rough draft of the Serama Shed plans. There will be 8 cages total placed 2 wide and 2 high. They will be on shelves along the East and West walls, so 4 cages on each side. There will be a storage cabinets at the back as well as one directly on the West inside the entry on the door. Small table at the front on the East wall for tabletop show training.
View attachment 2944590

All of the insulation for the shed was purchased last night. We are expecting our first round of Winter weather with snow and ice starting tomorrow night and into Saturday and temps are expected to drop into the negative. So tomorrow I will need to first concentrate my energy on preparing the main coop with some extra bedding and keeping their water from freezing. I hope to feel well enough to get started hanging insulation after that.
Did you use an app to design that?

Part Two

One day, while my husband was distracted by helping some friends clear brush, I went out to the garage an emptied a large, plastic tote and set it up on a folding table. I then threw a pet carrier in the back of my Blazer and set off to TSC. I purchased chick starter, some electrolytes, feed dishes, waterers and a heating plate. Can you guess where I went next? Yep, straight to my friends house.

We spent a while chatting about breeds and trying to decide which ones I’d like to give a go. I was very indecisive, so I settled on several different ones, 9 total. We loaded them into the carrier and I set off for home with my adorable 4 week old baby chickens screaming in the back. On my way home, my husband called. Part way through the conversation he said, “where are you? Is that chickens I hear?” I let out a nervous giggle and came clean. “Yes, those are chickens you hear and they are with me in the Blazer.” He then asks, “where are you taking then?” When I said I was taking them home, I swear the sky got dark and a tornado quickly swept through. He was not happy and he sure let me know it. “Why do you do these thing? Where are you going to put them? I told you to wait. I don’t have time for this!” Amongst many other things that were said. I told him they were only 4 weeks old and that I already had a brooder made up and ready and that would give me plenty of time to figure out their permanent housing.

I got home with my babies and set up the brooder and placed them all in. They quickly settled in and began chirping away, eating and drinking. I sat and watched them for what felt like hours. I couldn’t believe it. I finally had my chickens!
I recognize a seabright, silky, and barred rock (I think)

Back
Top Bottom