Black Acres: The chickens that saved me

Part 5 - the run and shed improvements

My skilled husband had the frame for the run put up in no time. Now it was time to attach the chicken wire. The run is 6ft tall so I bought 50yd rolls of 72in wire to eliminate the need to fasten sections together. Armed with our wire, hammers and fence staples, we felt ready to tackle wrapping the run. We quickly had one end of the roll attached to the start of the run, stretched across the front and stapled all the way down. We then turned the corner and that is where things began to fall apart. My poor husband kept smacking his fingers with the hammer. The staples were hard to hold in place to hammer while simultaneously holding the wire taught. I was no longer of help because I was stuck holding the roll of wire upright so it didn’t loosed and become tangled. After many smashed fingers and explicit words, I suggested we find an automatic staple gun. The husband agreed so we took a break to commandeer one from a friend. Now armed with the proper automatic tools, we went back to work. We managed to complete half of South side, all of the West and were just rounding the corner to the North side when my Uncle came up the drive. He came out to the run and asked what we were doing; besides arguing. That amazing man stepped in and took over for me. Within minutes he and my husband had a system going and it was working! No bickering between them as there had been with me and the husband. Instead, teamwork, bullshitting, and laughing. Y’all, my Uncle probably saved my marriage that day! They worked all the way around the coop and, and within an hour had all the wire attached and my Uncle went home.Here a picture I took from my deck as they worked.

86A94B78-2299-48B0-BD25-49F2F77DF043.jpeg

Next came installing the 3ft tall skirt around the run. Again, using my husband’s stockpile of composite decking. The best part of that isn’t even that it was free. The best part is that, because it’s composite, it will never rot or need to be replaced!

9734E468-76D3-4D06-A5CA-1074B3BA4BE4.jpeg

The time had come. How in the heck were we going to get a 50x50 aviary net over the top of this entire structure?! I started buy unrolling it and stretching it out in the yard. I then, carefully, walked it corner to corner, folding it in half. We slowly worked the whole thing up and over, to cover the entire run. This was NOT easy and my husband was more frustrated with this part of the build than he’d been the entire time. He kept getting stuck in the net and I kept laughing, making matters worse. But, we did get it done.

61C5790E-0A47-4653-B171-61A237500F39.jpeg

We then moved into the coop where I explained my vision for a poop tray and roosting bars. That part actually proved to be one of the easiest tasks.

4E75B85D-9F25-4211-8F1D-91FAE420A9E8.jpeg

My skilled husband had the frame for the run put up in no time. Now it was time to attach the chicken wire. The run is 6ft tall so I bought 50yd rolls of 72in wire to eliminate the need to fasten sections together. Armed with our wire, hammers and fence staples, we felt ready to tackle wrapping the run. We quickly had one end of the roll attached to the start of the run, stretched across the front and stapled all the way down. We then turned the corner and that is where things began to fall apart. My poor husband kept smacking his fingers with the hammer. The staples were hard to hold in place to hammer while simultaneously holding the wire taught. I was no longer of help because I was stuck holding the roll of wire upright so it didn’t loosed and become tangled. After many smashed fingers and explicit words, I suggested we find an automatic staple gun. The husband agreed so we took a break to commandeer one from a friend. Now armed with the proper automatic tools, we went back to work. We managed to complete half of South side, all of the West and were just rounding the corner to the North side when my Uncle came up the drive. He came out to the run and asked what we were doing; besides arguing. That amazing man stepped in and took over for me. Within minutes he and my husband had a system going and it was working! No bickering between them as there had been with me and the husband. Instead, teamwork, bullshitting, and laughing. Y’all, my Uncle probably saved my marriage that day! They worked all the way around the coop and, and within an hour had all the wire attached and my Uncle went home.Here a picture I took from my deck as they worked.

View attachment 2935085

Next came installing the 3ft tall skirt around the run. Again, using my husband’s stockpile of composite decking. The best part of that isn’t even that it was free. The best part is that, because it’s composite, it will never rot or need to be replaced!

View attachment 2935088

The time had come. How in the heck were we going to get a 50x50 aviary net over the top of this entire structure?! I started buy unrolling it and stretching it out in the yard. I then, carefully, walked it corner to corner, folding it in half. We slowly worked the whole thing up and over, to cover the entire run. This was NOT easy and my husband was more frustrated with this part of the build than he’d been the entire time. He kept getting stuck in the net and I kept laughing, making matters worse. But, we did get it done.

View attachment 2935090

We then moved into the coop where I explained my vision for a poop tray and roosting bars. That part actually proved to be one of the easiest tasks.

View attachment 2935091
I wish I had a coop like that!

Part 6 - finishing touches

I threw down some bedding in the coop and my wonderful husband went on to add pop doors and ladders.

F046EA81-9D64-4F6A-8AC4-55ED133BD40F.jpeg

EC7FB570-9019-46AC-B4C5-ED0CC73783E4.jpeg

EF426419-F810-42FE-9FB3-B71E74C532C8.jpeg

I was now satisfied and the babies (now 8 weeks old) were ready for their new, spacious home! I hurried to the play pen to load them into the dreaded plastic tote one last time. I carried the tote full of tiny raptors into the run and sat down to watch. One by one, they all ventured out to see what was going on. Boots, my dark Brahma, just sat on the edge of the tote for a while, taking it all in.

DF60D80E-FD90-4D47-A8FC-1E174E11082F.jpeg

They were all very happy with their new found freedom. So much room for activities! Over the next few weeks, I added more and more clutter to the run for them. Additional feeding stations and more waterers. I spent hours in the run with them each day, just watching and observing. My heart was full. My babies had a beautiful and safe space. My chicken dreams were coming true.

9B6B730A-7718-431D-A865-1381266DA42C.jpeg

View attachment 2935085

View attachment 2935088

View attachment 2935090

View attachment 2935091
Those nets are a BEAST! My kids tangled ours so bad that my daughter offered to buy a new one if I would throw the mess away. I got it untangled and it’s still in use almost 2 years later!

Those nets are a BEAST! My kids tangled ours so bad that my daughter offered to buy a new one if I would throw the mess away. I got it untangled and it’s still in use almost 2 years later!
Yes they are! But it was necessary for the hawks around here. Folding it in half made the pattern tighter and provided more security. It was a pain to get on, but worth it, in my opinion!

Yes they are! But it was necessary for the hawks around here. Folding it in half made the pattern tighter and provided more security. It was a pain to get on, but worth it, in my opinion!
Yes, a highly debated subject on BYC. We have lots of hawks too. I built a second coop for my banty Cochins and decide not to cover the run because of all the trouble I had the first time around. Haven’t lost one yet. I hope it stays that way!

Back
Top Bottom