Black Acres: The chickens that saved me

Part 7 - Selecting the keepers, rehoming, and adding more. The start of my Chicken Math.

This part was both easy and hard at the same time. My beloved sexed Wyandotte pullets were not actually pullets. The Lavender Orpington finally grew out enough to realize that it was also a cockerel. So there’s way too many cocks in the hen house. Boots (dark Brahma) had already begun to prove he was going to be a good cockerel to keep. He’s always on high alert, rounds everyone up at bedtime and doesn’t go in himself until he’s checked the run for stragglers. I knew I wanted to keep him. So I removed the other three from the flock and sent them to new homes.

And then my friend called; again. She has 4 birds she needs to place as her full sized flock is not accepting them. All of mine had originally been brooded with the ones she wanted me to take so I obliged. Again, I loaded up my pet carrier and went to retrieve some chickens. This time, I came home with a Salmon Favorelles cockerel, a black Showgirl, and two frizzled Silkies. I didn’t want another cockerel as I’d just rid of three, but he was so sweet and loving. He and Boots worked out the new pecking order very quickly so all is well there. But they were rapidly approaching the hormonal stage so I knew I needed more pullets ASAP. I added 3 Marans and 6 RIRs. I still believe I need more, but this should get us through the winter.

Next issue at hand. The bigs have a large size difference from the bantys now and I was worried they would be picked on or injured. I put on my best attitude and approached my husband to request his skill at sectioning off part of the run and coop for the bantys. He just shook his head and said show me what you’re thinking. By the end of the day, this is what he completed.

0397D334-236C-4C9B-BE9C-6482039980F7.jpeg

436965EE-E5E2-433F-B432-DF4DBAB7CA06.jpeg

We then moved inside the coop to segregate the area under the poop board to become the banty coop. First we had to give them a roosting bar and mount their heat plate.

2D515357-2C4F-4326-969A-611CF33F0571.jpeg

The next and final step to this arrangement was simply to close it off from the bigs. That was done by simply adding some tin from the bottom of the poop tray to the floor.

D7DBED86-5882-4CF2-ADD7-04385584CAD9.jpeg

The bigs and the littles were successfully separated on November 7, 2021 and it has worked wonderfully to ease my mind.

Last edited:
Part 7 - Selecting the keepers, rehoming, and adding more. The start of my Chicken Math.

This part was both easy and hard at the same time. My beloved sexed Wyandotte pullets we’re not actually pullets. The Lavender Orpington finally grew out enough to realize that it was also a cockerel. So there’s way too many cocks in the hen house. Boots had already begun to prove he was going to be a good cockerel to keep. He’s always on high alert, rounds everyone up at bedtime and doesn’t go in himself until he’s checked the run for stragglers. I knew I wanted to keep him. So I removed the other three from the flock and sent them to new homes.

And then my friend called; again. She has 4 birds she needs to place as her full sized flock is not accepting them. All of mine had originally been brooded with the ones she wanted me to take so I obliged. Again, I loaded up my pet carrier and went to retrieve some chickens. This time, I came home with a Salmon Favorelles cockerel, a black Showgirl, and two frizzled Silkies. I didn’t want another cockerel as I’d just rid of three, but he was so sweet and loving. He and Boots worked out the new pecking order very quickly so all is well there. But they were rapidly approaching the hormonal stage so I knew I needed more pullets ASAP. I added 3 Marans and 6 RIRs. I still believe I need more, but this should get us through the winter.

Next issue at hand. The bigs have a large size difference from the bantys now and I was worried they would be picked on or injured. I put on my best attitude and approached my husband to request his skill at sectioning off part of the run and coop for the bantys. He just shook his head and said show me what you’re thinking. By the end of the day, this is what he completed.

View attachment 2935181
View attachment 2935182

We then moved inside the coop to segregate the area under the poop board to become the banty coop. First we had to give them a roosting bar and mount their heat plate.

View attachment 2935185

The next and final step to this arrangement was simply to close it off from the bigs. That was done by simply adding some tin from the bottom of the poop tray to the floor.

View attachment 2935187

The bigs and the littles were successfully separated on November 7, 2021 and it has worked wonderfully to ease my mind.
I run my banties with my standards ~ but my banties are pretty feisty.

Off Topic -

It’s been a long and emotional day and somehow it’s only 3pm. Took toys, treats and blankets for the dogs and cats at Jefferson County Humane Society. Then picked up a beautiful, fresh Christmas cross for Grandma and Grandpa. I lost them both this year, only 23 days apart. I then proceeded to the cemetery. I straightened up all the decorations already there and laid down the cross. Then I spread out my blanket and laid down next to them talking, thinking, crying, questioning. I always seem to stay quite a spell when I go to visit because each time, I hate to leave. It’s the only place I feel truly close to them. Today has been hard for my heart. I’ll get back to my chickens after bit. Right now, I just need to unplug.
61EAE147-208A-4836-B76D-197EEF29289F.jpeg

Part 8 - How the chickens saved me

So harmony is in full swing with the bigs and the littles separated. Now I just spend my days dreaming about the breeding Seramas I am getting in January. 🤫 Shhh. The husband has no idea they’re coming. Okay, that is only partly true. He knows I want them, he knows I’ve been researching them. He knows I’ve been acquiring a set up for them.The part he doesn’t know is that they’ve already been paid for and are flying to our coop in less than a month. I’m beyond excited to start my adventure with Seramas. I’m breeding for SOP because I want to enter shows. You probably noticed the title of my thread is “The chickens that saved me.” I’ll go into that a bit now

I’ve struggled for many years with depression. I was doing great for a very long time. And then in February, my Great-Grandma died. Then my Grandpa in July followed by my Grandma in August. Three of the most important people in my life all taken within months. There were two other life changing events that I will not go into, but they are heavy and a constant source of emotion for me. One of those tragedies forced me to leave the job I loved. I am an EMT and was working on an ambulance saving lives and helping people. It is my passion. But I was working 24 to 48 hour shifts, keeping me from my own home and children. I was missing out of birthdays, weddings, school activities and so much more. So I quit and took a job that allows me to work from home and has normal hours. I enjoy my job now, but my heart was left on the ambulance. So, now being home nearly 24/7, left me with a lot of time to become lost in my sorrow and worries. I needed a hobby, a distraction. Something that depended on me. That is how the chickens saved me.

I spend a great deal of time with them. When I’m with the tiny raptors, as I lovingly call them, nothing else matters. They get excited when they hear me coming. They talk to me with their little chicken noises and happily take their treats from my hands. A few of them love to jump up and sit on me for while and one especially loves to have her neck scratched. I love on the ones who come to me for it and I simply observe the ones who don’t. The coop and run is my happy place. It’s where I go to forget my troubles. I want to give them the absolute best life possible because of all they give me. So they’re pretty spoiled and I’m already dreaming up ways to improve their current coop and run this coming Spring.

My next few posts will be introductions or each one in my flock. If you’re still reading, thank you.

Last edited:
Introducing the biggie boys

This is Boots. He is a Dark Brahma and very much the boss. He takes food from my hand and the drops it for his ladies.

653EC0DC-A384-40A3-9D59-E26F480F30AC.jpeg

He occasionally gets an attitude and I threaten to eat him.

4F7DB98E-534B-4773-9FCF-0C67789D3C1A.jpeg

Then we have Sammy aka Sam aka Samalammadingdong aka Sam Bone and many, many more names 😆 He is a Salmon Favorelles. He’s pretty laid back. Love to be petted and hang out in my lap.

EE861B8C-9DDF-40A7-A4DC-69D3FDA68AA4.jpeg

52BD865D-356D-4D4D-9D5C-560B571B4ACA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom