Black and Red Star Breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by morninggloryhatchery, May 20, 2010.

1. morninggloryhatchery

morninggloryhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    soo I am on a mission for a Great Egg Laying Barnyard Mix chicks. I have Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, Ameraucana's, and White Leghorns.
    I wanted to ask if I could breed Black and Red stars into the mix?

Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
    MGF

2. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Are you asking if you can breed them, or buy some to add to the flock? Too breed them you would have to have some barred rocks to breed to your rir (I think), but to buy some to add, yes I have had both over the years and like them very much, got along great and were egg laying machines.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  4. morninggloryhatchery

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    Thanks for the help!
    But If I have a Ameraucana roo for that pen and I have some Sexlinks in there and I hatch out eggs from all my chickens including the sexlinks, is that possible? Or should I not cross a Sexlink at all with another breed?

5. morninggloryhatchery

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    [​IMG] , Bump

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:A sex-link crossed with anything will not get you sex-link offspring, it was a one time deal...
    As for the Ameraucana, is a real Ameraucana or is it from a Hatchery? If it is a true Ameraucana what color is it?

Chris

7. morninggloryhatchery

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    Yes it's a true Ameraucana, I got it from a lady who breeds them close by. He is about 7 month old and I thought he was going to be a blue - wheaten since every time he was molting he was looking more and more like a Blue Wheaten then he started molting out and growing in these yellow colored feathers and when she stopped by to pick up some chicks she said he might be a Lemon - blue. She said she had a hen who was a lemon blue but she thought that hen had stopped laying. She also said it wasn't a known color in the Ameraucana Breed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by