Black Andalusian x Olive Egger cross gender help

StepfordCuckoos

Songster
Mar 20, 2019
So we had another chick hatch and I am wondering about the gender. I posted pictures of chicks from the same mom/dad (hatched a day before this one) and was told they were going to be roosters.

They had identical orange spots on top of their head. A poster here told me because their mom was barred that they would be cockerels.
IMG_5798.JPG

This one that hatched the next day has a white spot but no orange spot at all.
Below is a picture of the aforementioned chick and I'm wondering if we are able to tell the gender with this one.
Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 7.16.59 PM.png

So we had another chick hatch and I am wondering about the gender. I posted pictures of chicks from the same mom/dad (hatched a day before this one) and was told they were going to be roosters.

They had identical orange spots on top of their head. A poster here told me because their mom was barred that they would be cockerels.
View attachment 2648000

This one that hatched the next day has a white spot but no orange spot at all.
Below is a picture of the aforementioned chick and I'm wondering if we are able to tell the gender with this one.
View attachment 2648007
Yes, barred chicks are male if the father is non barred and the mother is barred.

So is this chick male or female? We've not done a ton of hatching so I don't really know all of the terminology and stuff.
The white dot is the thing that signifies barring, not the red dot. Sorry I didn’t clarify before. The chicks with the red dots also appear to have white dots, which is why I think they’re barred cockerels.

The white dot is the thing that signifies barring, not the red dot. Sorry I didn’t clarify before. The chicks with the red dots also appear to have white dots, which is why I think they’re barred cockerels.
Awesome, thank you!
That is a bit disappointing :( . I've been attacked by a rooster on multiple occasions and as a result don't have any roosters in my coop (we have four coops and the other three have roosters). We were really hoping this one was a hen so we could keep her with mine. The little guy hatched a few days ago and didn't seem like it was going to make it. It appears that something went wrong in the hatching process because the tip of the beak (where the egg tooth should be) was bloody and the umbilical cord area wasn't healed correctly. It lay under the mother, unable to sit up on its own, for the entirety of the first day it was born. Yesterday I did some reading and read that giving it some egg yolk could help. So I did that but it still wasn't sitting up or anything on its own. I went out early this morning before and thought I was going to find a deceased chick but it was still alive and weakly chirping.

We decided to bring it inside so my dad went out and got Sav-A-Chick and when I got home from work we decided we'd bring it in. When I went into the coop I couldn't find it in the nesting box or on the floor. I was incredibly confused because I have no idea how it would have gotten out of the box in the condition it was in when I left this morning. My mom and I kept searching and just as we were about to leave my mom noticed an extra chick in the dog kennel our other hen (who hatched babies) is in. Low and behold, it was that chick. We have no idea how it got in there or out of the nesting box but it appears to be doing much better. It's able to hobble around and everything.

I'm already attached to it but I really don't want roosters in my coop, so this will certainly be tough.

Awesome, thank you!
That is a bit disappointing :( . I've been attacked by a rooster on multiple occasions and as a result don't have any roosters in my coop (we have four coops and the other three have roosters). We were really hoping this one was a hen so we could keep her with mine. The little guy hatched a few days ago and didn't seem like it was going to make it. It appears that something went wrong in the hatching process because the tip of the beak (where the egg tooth should be) was bloody and the umbilical cord area wasn't healed correctly. It lay under the mother, unable to sit up on its own, for the entirety of the first day it was born. Yesterday I did some reading and read that giving it some egg yolk could help. So I did that but it still wasn't sitting up or anything on its own. I went out early this morning before and thought I was going to find a deceased chick but it was still alive and weakly chirping.

We decided to bring it inside so my dad went out and got Sav-A-Chick and when I got home from work we decided we'd bring it in. When I went into the coop I couldn't find it in the nesting box or on the floor. I was incredibly confused because I have no idea how it would have gotten out of the box in the condition it was in when I left this morning. My mom and I kept searching and just as we were about to leave my mom noticed an extra chick in the dog kennel our other hen (who hatched babies) is in. Low and behold, it was that chick. We have no idea how it got in there or out of the nesting box but it appears to be doing much better. It's able to hobble around and everything.

I'm already attached to it but I really don't want roosters in my coop, so this will certainly be tough.
The chick in this thread is definitely barred, but I’m less certain about the two with red dots. If their feathers grow in without white stripes, then I’m wrong and they’re pullets.
How is the temperament of the father, if he’s your chicken?
Also, out of curiosity, why don’t you keep all three roosters together (without hens), instead of separated from each other?

The chick in this thread is definitely barred, but I’m less certain about the two with red dots. If their feathers grow in without white stripes, then I’m wrong and they’re pullets.
Also, out of curiosity, why don’t you keep all three roosters together (without hens), instead of separated from each other?
The father is a wildcard, honestly. He's not completely vicious like one of our other roosters. Our barred rooster has attacked me on multiple occasions. Lu (the father of these chicks) is much smaller and will sometimes come at us but sometimes not. He particularly dislikes my dad (who our other rooster absolutely loves). He's definitely not friendly (and I don't trust him) but he's nowhere near as bad as our other.

I'm not sure, honestly. We have three roosters in total and two were together with no ladies for a bit and they used to fight each other horrifically. The third one (the father of these chicks) is a bit younger than them so we didn't have a chance to put him in with them before we separated the two.

Our third rooster (who ironically was the meanest to begin with) is the easiest to deal with. He was on his own for a long time. We then gave him one lady and he's been much better. We can actually go into his run. He does a little dance but gives up and just walks around.

IMG_5794.JPG

Here is another pic of them. The one at the top is a Black Andalusian x Welsummer cross.
The bottom two are the Black Andalusian x OE crosses.

The father is a wildcard, honestly. He's not completely vicious like one of our other roosters. Our barred rooster has attacked me on multiple occasions. Lu (the father of these chicks) is much smaller and will sometimes come at us but sometimes not. He particularly dislikes my dad (who our other rooster absolutely loves). He's definitely not friendly (and I don't trust him) but he's nowhere near as bad as our other.

I'm not sure, honestly. We have three roosters in total and two were together with no ladies for a bit and they used to fight each other horrifically. The third one (the father of these chicks) is a bit younger than them so we didn't have a chance to put him in with them before we separated the two.

Our third rooster (who ironically was the meanest to begin with) is the easiest to deal with. He was on his own for a long time. We then gave him one lady and he's been much better. We can actually go into his run. He does a little dance but gives up and just walks around.
Huh. Well, it’s best to breed non-aggressive roosters if you want non-aggressive cockerels. However, genetics isn’t a guarantee that they’ll become aggressive.

If you do end up separating the cockerels from your hens, you could try to put them in with their father. One thing to consider is that bachelor pens with only two roosters have a lesser chance of working out. I’ve read of several instances where that was the case. It seems that the larger the flock and the larger the pen the better. Though I have kept temporary bachelor pens with only two roosters successfully, I’ve also had unsuccessful ones.

Back
Top Bottom