black astrolorp coloring!!!

PhlyinPheBee

Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Northeast Louisiana
Can a black astrolorp (sp) have red in her neck feathers??? I tried to take pics but you cannot see it at all. I saw it tonight when I did the nightly coop check. She was the closest to the door and I shined a flashlight on her. I have not seen them before now. I was told she was one but after seeing one at my friends house I now am not sure. She does have the green tint on her feathers like they should.

I am just shocked.

Red feathers in a black hen's neck, normally means she is a Black Sex-Link. They can pass as Australorps as chicks and some feed stores get them screwed up.

It can also mean the hen is mixed with something in her blood line, but the most common answer is sexlink.

Matt

can you get a sexlink from mixed breed? I have some chicks that where given to me from a friend all hatched by the same hen. 2 look like ee, one looks like a black astrolorp or black sexlink and one looks like a barred rock. The one is question is solid black, comb, legs everything. Accept she has some feathers around her front neck that have brown tips.

Quote:
A black sex link is a mixed breed. You get these from a barred rock hen bred with a Rhode Island Red rooster. From the description, this is probably what you have.

Thanks! I guess that means she really is a hen then!? I think I only ended up with 1 out of 4 to be a roo, how lucky is that!

If she is a black sex link, it sounds like she's a girl. I still think you should show us a picture! A BSL male would have some barring on its feathers.

I have a BSL pullet that's just over 2 months old. She is a good girl. All of her brooder mates got sick and died, so I had to put her with some younger chicks. She gets along well with every chick I put in with her and lets the little ones lay all around her. She is my 2nd favorite girl in the flock. (1st will always be my sweet EE that's pictured in my avatar.)

Here is mine. Does yours look similar to her? This was actually taken a few weeks ago. She is much bigger and fluffier now. I seriously need to update some of my photos.
28482_rudy.jpg

Last edited:
I have a black sex link and the one in question only have a few and the sex link has LOTS of the reddish color. I will try to catch her in the morning and see if sunlight not flash will show it.

This pullet is a result of crossing a RIR Roos with a BA Hen. It is called a Black Cross and has the coloring you mentioned. The red did not show up until about 3 months old. These are great layers of brown eggs.

DSC00286.jpg

Back
Top Bottom