Black Astrolorps

crooked stripe

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
N.E Ohio- Suffield
I have 9 chickens ranging from .4 to 1.5 years old. The 2 BA are having a problem with feathers. Around their necks and a small way down their chest is naked. I see no sighs of lice or mites. I did a great job cleaning the coop 5 weeks ago and with the new wood chips put 1/2 5 gallon bucked of DE mixed well. The inflammation went away but it is to early for the feathers to return. All the birds sleep together in close quarters but none of them have this problem. I keep reading the Chicken Health hand book but nothing even close. What could this be? Laying everyday, active, eating well, bright eyes. I supply fresh water and feed every day. I clean regularly so I just can't figure it out. With the dry weather we have lots of flies everywhere but this all came along months before. What should I do. Could this be in the breed? I would hate to have to put them down but I am beginning to wander if that is what I should do. Please help me fix the issue. John

Did you try looking on BYC for that sort of feather loss? I haven't a clue what is going on, wish I could be more helpful......
Are they getting enough calcium? Oyster shells free choice?

I never thought of giving oyster shells for the fact sometimes it takes a good rap on the counter to open the eggs.

IF this old frogs brain remembers correctly, feather plucking [IF it is that] is caused by calcium deficency.......its worth a try and it cannot hurt at all....good luck....just leave a dish of it out by the water and they will help themselves.......:)

This might be a stupid question but when you say feather plucking do you me from themselves or others. I other words they are eating their own feathers? Makes sence though, the 2 ba's are the only ones laying and every day I might add. Thank you John

Could it be that the BA are starting to molt-depending on their age. I was told that my girls would have their first molt in Oct/Nov of this year-putting them at around 18 months. So depending on how old your BA's are....maybe they are starting to molt.

Could it be that the BA are starting to molt-depending on their age. I was told that my girls would have their first molt in Oct/Nov of this year-putting them at around 18 months. So depending on how old your BA's are....maybe they are starting to molt.

Yes, this is another possibility too.......sometimes it is a guessing game trying to figure out what is wrong when the symptoms are vague......

I have 4 BAs and 3 white leghorns. The BAs are so docile that they will sit there and LET the WLs pick their feathers. 3 of my 4 BAs have bald necks and one a bald chest. We've started segregating them a night (when they're normally in close quarters) because I think the majority of the plucking is occuring in the mornings when they want out but I'm not there yet. The BAs also are molting - so right now they are U G L Y! And.... I THINK feather plucking can be a sign of a protein deficiency, not calcium...could be wrong on that though.

Back
Top Bottom