• Still too young to tell

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Pics

camochick96

Songster
Apr 27, 2017
North TX
I’ve had suspicions that this is a cockerel since week 2. Big legs, and stands upright a lot. What are y’alls thoughts? I know it’s a little young still, but any guesses would be appreciated! Comb isn’t very red, but I am seeing some wattle growth. Also the tail feathers look suspicious to me. I have no experience with BA’s and this is my only one so I don’t have any to compare it to.
EE02653A-90E2-4FA6-9D41-3C0B30399D55.jpeg
E802A6BA-49A7-47F5-85DE-0ED5A30A1425.jpeg
CF7EE9A1-7929-4B84-A5B1-64A0D724F495.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who cast a vote and let me know my suspicions were correct. Hate it that he’s a he and I won’t be able to keep him since I already have a roo, but I do have someone who wants a rooster for their flock. He also has pullets close to the same age he’s willing to trade one for him! ;)

Hmmm...It's been about a hundred years since I've had Australorps. I might wait another few weeks before calling it one way or the other. I'd think the comb would be much larger and more red by now though if it was a cockerel.
Hmmm...It's been about a hundred years since I've had Australorps. I might wait another few weeks before calling it one way or the other. I'd think the comb would be much larger and more red by now though if it was a cockerel.
Really! I’m planning on trading him sometime next week, but I’d hate to if it’s a pullet after all.

Clearly the males have larger combs. Here's Alfalfa and a few of his ladies over fifteen years ago. I just think that he'd be more developed at this age.

Attachments

• Black Australorps (Hatchery Quality).jpg
    Black Australorps (Hatchery Quality).jpg
    104 KB · Views: 65

Back
Top Bottom