Cockerel or Pullet?

• Cockerel

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Pullet

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • Still too young to tell

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Gorgeous girl there thank for the picture! I’m so glad mine turned out to be a pullet after all so thankful enough people on here convinced me to keep it and wait it out before trading! I was convinced this was a cockerel for so long!
Australorps be tricky. I've learned that males are definitely males. When you have to question it then it's usually a female.

Just wanted to update this thread today. My BA is a she for sure at 20 weeks old to the day she laid her first egg! Again thank you to everyone who helped me decide to keep her! :bow I hope this thread will help others in the future!
5CE4099F-5E6F-4A21-B8E3-27FFCB754CA6.jpeg

Last edited:
Long before the comb and wattle there's the tail -- or rather the lack thereof. At about 1 week old and definitely by 2 weeks, you see the girls' tails starting to shape (clamshell feather design) but the boys take a much longer time to put small feathers (not in clam shell design) over their "stump." This is because their tails will be completely different with long feathers that don't start coming out until puberty. A second tell-tale sign available immediately -- at even under one week old -- is similar: Almost NO voice. Pick up a girl and she will squeak very loudly. Pick up a boy and he will TRY to squeak, but it will be mostly pushed air. This is because boys will have a very different "voice" (crowing) than the girls and, again, this voice will be needed on/after puberty.

Long before the comb and wattle there's the tail -- or rather the lack thereof. At about 1 week old and definitely by 2 weeks, you see the girls' tails starting to shape (clamshell feather design) but the boys take a much longer time to put small feathers (not in clam shell design) over their "stump." This is because their tails will be completely different with long feathers that don't start coming out until puberty. A second tell-tale sign available immediately -- at even under one week old -- is similar: Almost NO voice. Pick up a girl and she will squeak very loudly. Pick up a boy and he will TRY to squeak, but it will be mostly pushed air. This is because boys will have a very different "voice" (crowing) than the girls and, again, this voice will be needed on/after puberty.
False. All of this is false.

Back
Top Bottom