Black australorp and Americana

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickachicka121, May 20, 2016.

1. chickachicka121

chickachicka121 New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Hello! I have 4 black australorp hens, 5 Americana hens, and a black australorp roo (so much for all pullets!). Can we get chicks from the Americana hens? If so, what would they be?

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I kinda confused by your question, what exactly do you mean? If your asking if the eggs from your Ameraucanas can hatch chicks then yes so long as your rooster is doing his "job". Also they would be considered mixes. Oh and your hens are either Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers because "Americanas" aren't a breed.

3. chickachicka121

chickachicka121 New Egg

May 19, 2016
    I'm really new to the chicken scene and was just going off of what autocorrect said/what I could remember them being called and trying to spell it out myself. Yes, though thank you, that's exactly what I was asking. My grandpap seemed to think that we wouldn't get chicks from them because they're different breeds

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Chickens will make mixed breed offspring just like dogs or cats, etc. Your rooster will be more than happy to mate with all your hens [​IMG].

Since he's black, most of the offspring would be black. Depending on what color eggs the momma hen lays, the offspring pullets could lay various shades of green or brown.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by