Female Americana?

Megan37

Hatching
Apr 3, 2024
i just picked up these “americanas” from the store. They didn’t know the exact age and said they were all female. I can’t find much information on “Americanas”. Guess I’m just trying to confirm breed, gender, and age lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpeg
    IMG_1079.jpeg
    786.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1080.jpeg
    IMG_1080.jpeg
    769.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1075.jpeg
    IMG_1075.jpeg
    726.7 KB · Views: 24
Guess I’m just trying to confirm breed, gender, and age lol.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I'll go in the 3 week range.

If the are indeed "americana".. with an I then they are Easter Eggers, through and through. Sold by many hatcheries and said to "represent the breed but not for show" as they will not conform to an accepted standard of perfection. Feed stores don't know the difference. They are clearly not Ameraucana with an au.. which will conform to an SOP. SOP or standard of perfection means comb type, feather pattern, skin and shank color, clean face or bearded, how many toes, etc.

I'm seeing some straight combs.. but Easter eggers don't have a standard. Other breeds are also possible since mix ups happen all the time, both in store and at hatchery.

There's NO current indicators for gender beyond what was labeled and it may be several weeks before any appear.

I’m not entirely sure they’re Easter Eggers. They could be, but they just look too uniform in color to me. Normally there’s a bit more variation in between chicks than this. But time will tell.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I'll go in the 3 week range.

If the are indeed "americana".. with an I then they are Easter Eggers, through and through. Sold by many hatcheries and said to "represent the breed but not for show" as they will not conform to an accepted standard of perfection. Feed stores don't know the difference. They are clearly not Ameraucana with an au.. which will conform to an SOP. SOP or standard of perfection means comb type, feather pattern, skin and shank color, clean face or bearded, how many toes, etc.

I'm seeing some straight combs.. but Easter eggers don't have a standard. Other breeds are also possible since mix ups happen all the time, both in store and at hatchery.

There's NO current indicators for gender beyond what was labeled and it may be several weeks before any appear.
The only other chicks at the time were Rhode Island Reds. I’d be a little bummed as I wanted the chance for blue/green eggs but brown layers would fit in with my others lol. I’m still a wicked newbie to all things chicken. Hopefully no Roos as I’d have to find a new home for them… they aren’t allowed where I live.

Back
Top Bottom