Black Australorp Genders (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LaurasLorps, May 30, 2011.

1. LaurasLorps

LaurasLorps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Hi everyone, I am raising my first chickens -- 4 sweet australorps. However, we live in a city where we cannot keep roosters, so I'd like some help sexing my chicks. I gave them all girl names (bonus points if you guess the theme!), but I am pretty sure I have at least two roos. They are 6 weeks old. I would love your opinions!

Chick #1 --Ainsley.
    [​IMG]
    Comb and wattles are pretty large and pinkish-red

[​IMG]
    Here are the legs. I don't really know what to look for on legs, but have seen on these message boards that it is important

[​IMG]
    And Ainsley's full-body shot

Chick #2 -- AnnaBeth. kind of a bully and always trying to chest bump/tackle the others.
    [​IMG]
    AnnaBeth has the biggest and reddest features

[​IMG]
    and the legs

[​IMG]
    Full body AnnaBeth...he/she doesn't like to hold still very long, so my shoulder was the best place we could get the pic

Chick #3 -- Margaret
    [​IMG]
    Margaret's comb is a little smaller than the first two, and has quite a bit of black/gray in it. the wattles are also smaller than the other two

[​IMG]
    The legs

[​IMG]
    Full view of Margaret

Chick #4 -- Claudia Jean. I am 99% she is a pullet!
    [​IMG]
    very small, yellowish/orange comb and barely visible wattles

[​IMG]
    lady legs?

[​IMG]
    and CJ from the side

So what do you guys think? I am kind of afraid I might have 3 roos and a pullet [​IMG]

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    you are right 3 boys 1 girl. I'm sorry I know roos have had LOTS of them this past year. My BA went broody this past March. Hatched 5 roos out of 7. [​IMG]

3. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    CJ is your only girl. I'm soooo sorry. poor roos, they'll all feel very confused by their girlish names.

4. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Well Ms. Laura I am only on my second batch of Austra's but that is what ya' got....3 Boys one Girlie.....Maybe you could bribe a city official ad keep them all..[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    three boys, one probably a girl.

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

roos, one pullet, I concur...here is a shot of one of my roos...

7. LaurasLorps

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Thanks everyone...Three roos was what I was afraid of [​IMG] Guess I need to start finding them new homes for the boys and find a few more pullets to keep Claudia Jean company! I am sad I can't keep at least one rooster because BA's roos are so beautiful!

8. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    3 roos and 1 pullet, sorry.

9. LaurasLorps

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    So it looks like I need to be looking for some new pullets to keep CJ company! If I can't find some the same age as her, would be better to get chicks that are a little older or a little younger than she is?

10. LaurasLorps

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Okay, I have made arrangements to re-home my three suspect roosters this weekend, so I just wanted to bump this thread to the top one more time and get a few more opinions. So far, everyone here is in agreement that I have three roos, but I would hate to give them away if there was any doubt because I am quite fond of these little boys.

So does anyone see multiple pullets here? Maybe if you squint or stand on your head and look at them? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by