Black Australorp hen or rooster?

Well if it look's like the one that was mentioned above, you have a boy too.
Okay, He's history. Three down and one more suspect to go. I've got three Austra-Whites. I think two of them are laying and can't tell them apart, other than the splotches of black here and there. I examine them every day to see if any of them are "different" from the others.

I liked ordering from MyPetChicken because of their small order quantities, but disapointed with their sexing. Twelve hens with possibly four roos is not acceptable, but I would order from them again.

Oh, Austra-Whites are a hybrid of a black Australorp over a white Leghorn hen.
Austr-White-Hen.jpg

Last edited:
That's a rooster, I'm sorry xD.

How many hens do you have, or do you have any more roosters? If you have one rooster, you can have a happy flock, if you don't mind the morning crows.;)

I recommend looking at rooster articles on BYC, for any questions you have. All of the roosters I have had have joined my dad's friend's brother's (lol) huge farm, with lots of lady hens, so not the rooster expert here.
He's the only rooster that we know of. We have a total of 22 chickens. So 21 hens and 1 rooster. I'll definitely have to check out the rooster column. Lol. I know nothing about roosters other than they can protect your flock.

He's the only rooster that we know of. We have a total of 22 chickens. So 21 hens and 1 rooster. I'll definitely have to check out the rooster column. Lol. I know nothing about roosters other than they can protect your flock.

Your rooster will be one happy bird.:lol: But yes, you won't have any problems with roosters fighting, as you have 1 rooster: 21 hens, which is more than the 1 roo: 10 hens "rule". We had to get rid of our boys because of neighbors, but they have so many benefits.

We love having a rooster! Ours is super good about watching over the hens and warning them of danger. I'm not sure there's really anything special you have to do. If he starts getting aggressive or anything there are some pretty good articles for that on here too! Our rooster likes to have his own food and water, that may be just his preference though!

Thank you for confirming my thoughts! This is the first time I've had chickens. Lol. Is there anything I have to do differently with a rooster? He hasn't crowed or anything yet.

What if I think I have 2 roosters? One of my other chickens is starting to get a comb too... so I'll have 2 roosters and 20 hens... is that still ok? Or will they fight?

What if I think I have 2 roosters? One of my other chickens is starting to get a comb too... so I'll have 2 roosters and 20 hens... is that still ok? Or will they fight?

It depends on a few different factors, including how much space they have, what breed they are, and their individual personality. In general it should be okay, but you'll have to watch and make sure it's working.

If they grew up together, have plenty of hens, and plenty of space you should be fine! Multiple food and water containers will help too, my rooster does not like to share his! One of them will be dominant, but they should work it out pretty early if they haven't already. If your other chick in question is a BA too, she may just be getting ready to lay! The pullets combs turn right before they start laying.

Last edited:
It depends on a few different factors, including how much space they have, what breed they are, and their individual personality. In general it should be okay, but you'll have to watch and make sure it's working.
I've been reading over at the BA forum and several folks were showing pics of their hens that had much larger combs and wattles. Would that be because of different strains?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom