1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black australorp hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cluckler, Dec 19, 2010.

1. cluckler

cluckler New Egg

Aug 15, 2010
    we are suddenly not so sure that one of our girls, Nighttime, is really a girl! she is about 20 weeks old and not laying yet.
    ive checked descriptions of black australorps and she has some female qualities, but also some male ones.
    female:
    no spur.

male:
    large comb. large-ish tail. she seems to be crowing....? she is very vocal in the morning before and when we come outside to care for them, but it could just be that shes making louder sounds than the others. its not a full-on cockadoodle-doo, but its close! we live in the city and cant have roosters, so its imperative that we find out asap. the hatchery will take her/him back if its a rooster.

can you help?
    here are some photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Roo.

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Looks like a roo to me. I just had to give one back to the guy I got him from. Mine was a little over 4 months old and he was crowing in the morning and all day too. I really liked him but..............I can't have a roo either. The spurs usually show up later on. I hope I'm wrong and you get to keep it, but those tail feathers look rooish to me.

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Rooster

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Rooster...he has saddle feathers. Look at the long, pointy feathers hanging down just before you get to his tail.

6. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    yep, that's a rooster. [​IMG]

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Roo-boy for sure.

8. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Looks like a roo to me too.

This is my first time "vocalizing" a guess though, I am the one that ALWAYS buys the roosters though.....or after 8 months "POOF" they went from a hen to a roo overnight

But my 1 known black australorp hen is probably hovering around 4 or 5 months, and she has a round body, and her tail is more a upside V shape from her back side. I have one more that is younger that I am staring at daily, waiting to see what it turns out to be

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    100% rooster.

10. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    yes 100% roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by