black australorp hen or rooster?

cluckler

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
we are suddenly not so sure that one of our girls, Nighttime, is really a girl! she is about 20 weeks old and not laying yet.
ive checked descriptions of black australorps and she has some female qualities, but also some male ones.
female:
no spur.

male:
large comb. large-ish tail. she seems to be crowing....? she is very vocal in the morning before and when we come outside to care for them, but it could just be that shes making louder sounds than the others. its not a full-on cockadoodle-doo, but its close! we live in the city and cant have roosters, so its imperative that we find out asap. the hatchery will take her/him back if its a rooster.

can you help?
here are some photos:

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

Looks like a roo to me. I just had to give one back to the guy I got him from. Mine was a little over 4 months old and he was crowing in the morning and all day too. I really liked him but..............I can't have a roo either. The spurs usually show up later on. I hope I'm wrong and you get to keep it, but those tail feathers look rooish to me.

Looks like a roo to me too.

This is my first time "vocalizing" a guess though, I am the one that ALWAYS buys the roosters though.....or after 8 months "POOF" they went from a hen to a roo overnight

But my 1 known black australorp hen is probably hovering around 4 or 5 months, and she has a round body, and her tail is more a upside V shape from her back side. I have one more that is younger that I am staring at daily, waiting to see what it turns out to be

Back
Top Bottom