black australorp laid green egg! like, huh?

My Austrolopes green egg

I know this thread is old. I wanted to post for future viewers.

I had an olive egger that was identical to yours. She looked all australorp but with a pea comb! She laid a beautiful PINK egg! So in the end, she was an easter egger.

Yup, no word of a lie! I thought they were coming from my ameracauna cross but she was not in the coop AT ALL this morning! When I went in earlier, Emerald, one of my young BAs, was sitting in the favourite nest. I checked under her, just ping pong balls. So I watched the coop like a hawk, waiting for her to emerge so I could find what she left me. Anyway, turns out that she's the one making the green eggs with white speckles!

From what I've been able to find, there are only 3 breeds that make these: aracauna, ameracauna and easter-eggers. Emmy doesn't appear to be part of any of these breeds, so is there another possibility? The only thing non-australorpish about her - besides the green egg :p - is her comb. My other BA pullet has the tiniest of tiny blackish single combs while Emmy's is bright red and "fuller" than a typical single. She also has yellow undertones instead of white, but one of my pure BA roos has the same thing (and from what I could find this is something that just randomly pops up in BAs anyway).

Here are some pictures I just took. I could not get the colour correction to display the egg properly, but it is like a mint green, like the chocolate chip mint ice cream green.

We’ve also got an Australorp laying green eggs

Back
Top Bottom