Black Australorp not laying

ecwdavis

Songster
May 27, 2019
Hello all.

My flock is small, was 3 - two black sex links and the Australorp.

The 2 Sex links began laying last Christmas and I thought the Australorp was as well... then, one of the Sex Links died in July, and it became apparent the Sex Link remIning was the only one laying.

The Australorp became broody around April, so I separated her, for a week and that seemed to cure that... but still no eggs from her.

Now I only have the two, I have also noriced the Australorp acts a bit rooster -ish, she stands guard while the other one eats, has very erect tail feathers, and appears to be protective if I touch the other chicken.

She has not laid any eggs, yet, but, has nipped the ends of the feathers on her back, and pulled out the feathers between her legs, I put chicken specs on the Sex Link because I thought she was attacking the Australorp - but the feather chewing continued, so I concluded the Australorp was doing it to herself.

I have been feeding extra proteine and they have free access to calcium, and layer feed.

They also get 2 - 4 hours a day free ranging.

She seems healthy and active, good color on her comb wattles and eats well, although she is not as chunky as the other chicken. I have de wormed them, and have not seen any sign of parasites, the dust bathed regularly when it was hot, but I have not seen that activity now it is cooling down.

Are there some chickens that just don't lay - infertile, hormones unbalanced etc?

I don't really know what else to do for her, she is not egg bound, and her crop seems to be ok, there do not seem to be signs of illness. injury or any mental issues.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing?

We have a black australorp and she lays big eggs. Hmm, that's odd. Maybe it is a rooster. Can you post pics?

When I go to put them in I will take a picture of her.

She has been broody, and was sitting in the nesting box this morning, but no egg...

It's as if she looks like a chicken, but mentally acts like a rooster... odd indeed.

We have a black australorp and she lays big eggs. Hmm, that's odd. Maybe it is a rooster. Can you post pics?

Here is a picture of the chicken in question...

Attachments

• 20201011_072354.jpg
    20201011_072354.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 19
She has been broody, and was sitting in the nesting box this morning, but no egg...
Maybe she is still broody?

Here is a picture of the chicken in question...
Time for an exam....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Check around. She may be hiding a nest.
Compare her vent to the other hens.
It may be she just won't lay.
Her vent is smaller than the other hen, I am beginning to think she just won't lay. She is 18 months old now and even though she has scratched lots of depression nests in the nesting box, I have never seen her lay, and even when she was growling broody, it was only the sex links eggs under her.

From the other day when she was sitting in the nesting box, she is now running about as normal, no broodyness at all.

I have checked around their haunts, but not seen any eggs - the other chicken always returns to the coop to lay, and the other usually follows, they are never more than a few feet apart for very long.

I am thinking her hormones are not quite up to par, so, she is cought in limbo. She keeps the other company, and I will be getting more chicks in Spring, she may 'come out of her shell' (so to speak) then.

Thanks for the reply and info.

It's a mystery.

I have a buff orpington that is the same way. A hen will fill the rooster role of guarding when there is no rooster. My low production has also gone broody. Also sit on a nest , come out and sing the egg song and no egg. She is five years old and sometimes she actually lays an egg. I have room for such nonsense. It appears that you only have room for three layers. It would make sense to remove her from the flock and get some chickens that lay eggs.

I have a buff orpington that is the same way. A hen will fill the rooster role of guarding when there is no rooster. My low production has also gone broody. Also sit on a nest , come out and sing the egg song and no egg. She is five years old and sometimes she actually lays an egg. I have room for such nonsense. It appears that you only have room for three layers. It would make sense to remove her from the flock and get some chickens that lay eggs.

Thank you for the reply and info.

I am thinking that the filling the rooster slot seems to be what is going on, I had not heard of chickens doing that before - but it does describe her behaviour.

I will be getting more chicks in Spring - and see how she reacts to them - maybe she will become their protector and relax enough to start laying.

This is my first time owning chickens, so I wanted to start small, I will keep her around as company for the other sex link, and hopefully a chick 'mom'. 😊

Back
Top Bottom