1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorp.... pullets or cockerel??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ruralchicken78, Jul 13, 2016.

1. ruralchicken78

ruralchicken78 Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    Iowa
    These ladies?? are about 11 weeks old. My daughter's 2nd grade class hatched them so they were just straight run. I still think they are hens and I swear I stare at them for hours everyday trying to figure out what they are. Every once in awhile, one will make a sound that almost sounds like an attempt at a crow. I've caught the smaller one doing it. But I still believe they are pullets. We can't have roosters here in town so I'm just hoping we don't have to rehome them and order new pullets. I'm not seeing curling tail feathers or pointy saddle and neck feathers but it could be too early also.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    They look like hens to me. Keep an eye out for long pretty feathers around the neck and back area(Called hackle and saddle feathers on roosters). And also look for big thicker feet and legs.

-BCP

3. Peeps15

Peeps15 New Egg

Jul 13, 2016
    CNY
    I'm having the same dilemma with this one. About 10 weeks old. [​IMG]

4. Peeps15

Peeps15 New Egg

Jul 13, 2016
    CNY
    [​IMG]
    Here's another one! I can't seem to figure how to add more than one pic. I'm hoping a hen?!

5. stacibful

stacibful Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    The one with the larger comb could he a cockerel. The other looks like a pullet

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

All the birds pictured on this thread are cockerels.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    YES

8. Peeps15

Peeps15 New Egg

Jul 13, 2016
    CNY
    [​IMG]
    So this is a cockerel?! The chicken is a bully and so is the other Black australorp, Neither crows but they intimidate my Easter Egger Rooster and go face to face with each other with heads down and neck feathers all out.
    [​IMG]

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Both are very well developed cockerels. Very clearly visible male saddle feathers and very red combs.
    [​IMG]
    The three black birds in this picture are Australorp pullets, age 12 weeks. Just look at the difference in the combs and the back feathers.

10. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    I agree, all birds in question are cockerels. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by