Black australorps

Papa Rooster

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 15, 2010
I will be ordering 30 black australorp hens and 3 roosters. i heard thier friendly and lay very good and like to be handled. they also are fine with being confined. but that was all from the murray mcmurray post and they could block out bad ones. are they this good?

I bought some McMurray Black Australorps about a year ago, and was very pleased with them. They WERE friendly and laid well. They will like to be handled if you train them with treats and give them attention. We didn't handle ours too much but they still liked us.

They were very popular with the bantam roosters for some reason. They were good girls. I would order them again.
Note: we didn't have BA roos.

Last edited:
I have 4 australorps from craigslist, they just started laying a couple of weeks ago.
ya.gif
I am super happy with them, they aren't lap chickens but the follow me around the yard.
Their laying nearly every day in the middle of winter (I do give them some extra light) I'm so surpised on how quiet they are even with laying.
When I expand my coop I plan on getting hatching eggs from another BYC who sells on ebay. So i'm hoping one will go broody later or I might have to get an incubator.
So I'm sold on this breed and would recomend them to anyone.
big_smile.png

they are hard to beat. they lay good, they are docile, they stand confinement well, overall healthy and vigorous, they are big enough to be dual purpose and taste good.

I got my Australorp from a local breeder. She is wonderful. I will be adding more to my flock this year. We don't snuggle our chickens but spend time with them to a certain extent. She is almost as friendly as my SL Wyandotte (also a great layer).

I only have one right now, but she is GREAT! Very productive, docile and quiet. When I bought my first chickens I also got (what was supposed to be) 2 BA pullets that "should start laying any day". After feeding the little pigs for 2 months and not a single egg I was having doubts. I also discovered after looking at them closely that the bottoms of their feet were yellow (meanig they were Jersey Giants). The seller had both breeds (well actually maybe 50 breeds) and I had been very specific that I did not want Giants because my space is limited. I was a complete newbie and the guy saw RUBE written all over my forehead. I would go with Black Australorps in a heartbeat. The BA's really are dual purpose, because my BA hen easily weighs twice what the RIR hens weigh, but doesn't seem to eat more than they do. I sold the JG's on craigslist for twice what I paid for them (although I really didn't make anything because of their feed bill!).

Last edited:
I am trying to find 'ready to lay' Black Australorps. Not having any luck. Does anyone know where I could get some? Thanks.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom