Black Austrolorp - Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sadiebeth12, Apr 13, 2011.

1. sadiebeth12

sadiebeth12 In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Finleyville
    Hello,
    I have 6 hens that are 9 months old. A few weeks ago I realized that one of the hens was no longer laying. My light Brahma, she appears to be molting. It is early for this though, right? I check on her frequently and it appears she has new feather coming in. On a completely, maybe , different note, my black austrolorp who is still laying, is missing ALL of the feathers on her chest. There appears to be a sore on her chest. Not big and scabbed over. I have looked for mites and there is nothing to the naked eye. Please help, she is my favorite.
    Thanks so much
    Shelley in PA

2. nova7353

nova7353 In the Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Do you have any roosters with your girls? mine were give my girls some blad spots. and i think chickens molt depending on there age not so much time of year not 100% on that but mine r not a year old yet and they have not molted yet. its spring here in CA

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress

Sep 6, 2007
    Corydon, Indiana
    I've had a few of my hens in the past , molt, and become very weak from it, losing feathers, weight, sleepy, always resting. Then snap out of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: