ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
We are thinking about making a metal shed coop and moving our current flock of 6 (soon to be 10)into it. We put a lot of effort into our current coop and originally thought that it would be the coop for winter since it is just easier to move around and get fresh grass weekly with, and the shed would be a summer coop since they will be free ranging a lot this summer. But then when we went to our town's feed mill to get more chicken feed, we saw 4 little chickens in the cages used to sell chicks in. They were small but had fully developed combs, so I was confused. I saw 1 was a boy and the rest girls. I asked the mill owner, Greg, and he said they were Black Belgian D'Anver Bantams. He also said they weren't for sale but he was going to breed them and sell their chicks this spring/summer. I got excited about this and that's how I thought about moving the current flock to the shed coop and having the bantams live in the one we have now.

But what I'm asking (now that you know the story) is, are they a broody breed? I really want them to hatch chicks since I've always wanted to go through that experience but with the amount of large fowl I have now in the coop and plus 4 polish chicks that will join them once they're older, I wouldn't have enough room for new chicks. Plus my only breed that has a chance of being broody is my 2 Buff Orpingtons. Otherwise I just have Barred rocks and EEs. And I know the polish rarely--if ever--go broody.
Any help would be appreciated, I really want to breed but I don't want to incubate them myself!:oops:

apparently they are a broody breed, yes. I have heard this from multiple sources although I have yet to find out first hand. I have just one d'anver pullet who hasn't started laying yet and she is an absolute sweetheart. I wish I could get more but no one keeps this breed anywhere near where I live, unfortunately.

This is Marshie (short for Marshmallow). She is such a cutie and very gentle and docile. I could not recommend the breed more!

Attachments

• WP_20180223_10_09_14_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180223_10_09_14_Pro.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 14
apparently they are a broody breed, yes. I have heard this from multiple sources although I have yet to find out first hand. I have just one d'anver pullet who hasn't started laying yet and she is an absolute sweetheart. I wish I could get more but no one keeps this breed anywhere near where I live, unfortunately.
Well that's a good sign!

I forgot to mention that I will be trying to get a rooster so they can actually breed and incubate their own eggs!

I have heard that the roosters can be a quite aggressive though, despite their small size. I hope you get end up getting some d'anvers! I really don't know why the breed isn't more popular.

People aggressive apparently, although I know every rooster is different. Plus they are so small that they can't really do much damage! I had a little boy chick as well (they were ebay eggs) but had to rehome him because I already have one rooster of a different breed. He was very friendly but that was pre-puberty.

People aggressive apparently, although I know every rooster is different. Plus they are so small that they can't really do much damage! I had a little boy chick as well (they were ebay eggs) but had to rehome him because I already have one rooster of a different breed. He was very friendly but that was pre-puberty.
Ok, I was worried about them being aggressive to the hens but to me, they are so small I'll just laugh!

Back
Top Bottom