1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Brahmas, anyone?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Flock Leader, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    My husband got me some chicks which he was told are Black Brahmas (not dark - actually black), however I haven't really heard of this color variety. I know it isn't recognized by the American Poultry Association. So is there such a thing as Black Brahmas, or are these crosses of something? Does anyone know? We've had Light Brahmas before and they were very docile birds. Are all Brahma varieties alike in this sense?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Yes there is such thing.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you post some pictures, we might be able to tell you what you have. Brahmas of any color variety should have pea combs, yellow feet, and feathered legs and feet.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on that.

5. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    They definitely look like Brahma chicks (we've had Brahmas before). Just black. I'll try to upload some photos though.

6. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Bumping up this thread... the Brahmas have grown big and handsome by now, but the Brahma roos have some brilliant red feathers on their necks. Is that correct for Black Brahmas? Or are they supposed to be coal black all over, and what we have doesn't come from a very pure line? We want to be fair to people if we ever get to selling the Brahmas. Wouldn't want to sell something as pure-bred when it actually isn't.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you post some pictures, we would be able to help better. From my understanding, black birds should be solid black. If there is red 'leakage' it would indicate that something else has been bred in at some point.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Agreed.

9. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    I see. I'll try to post a photo later. However I'm not astonished to hear that they might be bred with something else.

10. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    More important, in my opinion, is that those features be arranged on a body of proper Brahma type and size.

Too often people focus on individual features, or color, at the expense of proper type, ending up with a bird with a non descript generic build. Examples of this can be found in most hatchery stock. If you were to take several examples of different breeds of your average hatchery quality birds and maybe with Photoshop you could hide the combs and leg color/ feathering, and make all birds solid white, you would be hard pressed to tell most of them apart. If you were to do the same thing with proper typed examples of the same breeds the difference would be quite striking.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by