Black bulbs don't work for heating??

ebay you say. Problem you say. heat bulb made in china you say.

Read the small print on the bulb and see if its rated for 220v if so it will work on 110v but its not going to put out the stated 75watts of heat. (been there done that)

cheap heat pad cave with a piece of wire mesh for support works great just add a small led light over the feed or the chicks will stay in the warm and stave to death.

I get everything off eBay. Literally. Got my hatching eggs, incubator, hygrometer, etc all off eBay. Heck, I even ordered a lemon pound cake recently. Can't wait til it comes in the mail :g. Anyway the bulb is not bad quality I think. I think I just didn't get a high enough wattage, since the box says it gets up to 85 degrees (the eBay seller should've mentioned this!). I got a 65w white bulb today, and it put out a whole lot more heat than the 75w black bulb,- up to 104 degrees!

My goodness! I've raised 6 batches - 7th is on it's way - under MHP and never used a light at all for anything. They are brooded outdoors in the run, where when the sun goes down they go to bed, and when the sun comes up they are back exploring, eating, drinking, and learning. It's not warm here in the spring when it's "chick season" .....our temps often drop down into the teens and twenties with sideways blowing snow. Never once have I had a chick prefer to stay under MHP to the point where it would not eat, and neither has anyone else who is doing this. So I'm just a little confused.....

newly hatched button quail are not the smartest birds. We set up a brooder in the house in a shaded area (in florida you don't leave the windows uncovered during summer and buttons jump so there's a diffused cover over the brooder). we showed a few chicks were the water and feed was located. The quail were quiet which normally means that all is well and a few were out at the food bowl when we checked on them. About 36hrs after hatch we found we had a major problem so we put a light over the brooder to check the chicks and remove the dead. As soon as the desk lamp was turned on the buttons ran out in mass and started drinking and eating. We experimented a few times by turning the desk lamp off and on and each time the quail would go under the heat mat and stay until the light was back on.

We have hatched 20+ batches. The first 12 or so batches we used nothing more that a light (60w normal bulb) for the first few weeks until they could be moved outside and never had a problem. Then after the one problem using a heating pad we always added a light over the feeder when using the heating pad and have never had a repeat of the same problem. We use a led over the food so it doesn't produce heat only light.

I get everything off eBay. Literally. Got my hatching eggs, incubator, hygrometer, etc all off eBay. Heck, I even ordered a lemon pound cake recently. Can't wait til it comes in the mail :g. Anyway the bulb is not bad quality I think. I think I just didn't get a high enough wattage, since the box says it gets up to 85 degrees (the eBay seller should've mentioned this!). I got a 65w white bulb today, and it put out a whole lot more heat than the 75w black bulb,- up to 104 degrees!

Honestly check the bulb and written on the bulb somewhere it will state the voltage and wattage. Mine said 75watts 220v which was advertised on ebay as 75watt black bulb 110v. When plugged in it only drew 38watts which explained why it didn't get very hot.

Honestly check the bulb and written on the bulb somewhere it will state the voltage and wattage. Mine said 75watts 220v which was advertised on ebay as 75watt black bulb 110v. When plugged in it only drew 38watts which explained why it didn't get very hot.

It says 75w 120v, which is also the limit on my heat lamp.

Edit: actually the limit on my lamps is 250v 660w. Wow, I could have bought a much hotter black bulb if I'd known this before.

Last edited:
I fail to see why there is need to order a light bulb off of ebay when there is a large abundance and variation of light bulbs available in any local retail, hardware, pet or grocery stores. Not to mention the new start up stores "Light bulbs-R-Us" that are starting to pop up everywhere.
..so there is no use worrying about ebay or some other special order (black, red, green, whatever) heat bulb plus shipping charges. Also there is no worries in regards to the delay factor where it takes days to process the purchase, fill the order, and be delivered 100 to 2000 miles away with a chance of arriving damage from shipping. Meanwhile, walmart, petco, or Joes and Lowes Hardware is just 10-20 miles down the road.... (??????). If the bulb goes out today, did you order a spare?

The whole concept of the brooder light is to keep the chick warm and the red light usually keeps them from pecking at the others eyes. Chicks will sleep (day or night) with a light on, just like any other animal or human so there is little argument there, but if you have the light on a thermostat control to regulate the temp...all the better. Thats my setup and it works wonderful...then again.....My 250 watt chick cooking heat bulb/ set up
lau.gif
....... I can brooder over 500 chicks at a time, not a maximum of 10-15 chicks ....So to each is their own I guess, but hardly room for the assumption....Cook chicks in my brooder has never happened as I use common sense and most importantly keep safety in mind.

Anyway...good luck with the brooding and the birds. Looks like you have it under control.

I fail to see why there is need to order a light bulb off of ebay when there is a large abundance and variation of light bulbs available in any local retail, hardware, pet or grocery stores. Not to mention the new start up stores "Light bulbs-R-Us" that are starting to pop up everywhere.
..so there is no use worrying about ebay or some other special order (black, red, green, whatever) heat bulb plus shipping charges. Also there is no worries in regards to the delay factor where it takes days to process the purchase, fill the order, and be delivered 100 to 2000 miles away with a chance of arriving damage from shipping. Meanwhile, walmart, petco, or Joes and Lowes Hardware is just 10-20 miles down the road.... (??????). If the bulb goes out today, did you order a spare?

The whole concept of the brooder light is to keep the chick warm and the red light usually keeps them from pecking at the others eyes. Chicks will sleep (day or night) with a light on, just like any other animal or human so there is little argument there, but if you have the light on a thermostat control to regulate the temp...all the better. Thats my setup and it works wonderful...then again.....My 250 watt chick cooking heat bulb/ set up :lau ....... I can brooder over 500 chicks at a time, not a maximum of 10-15 chicks ....So to each is their own I guess, but hardly room for the assumption....Cook chicks in my brooder has never happened as I use common sense and most importantly keep safety in mind.

Anyway...good luck with the brooding and the birds. Looks like you have it under Anyway...good luck with the brooding and the birds. Looks like you have it under control.
[/quote]
Thanks, my chicks should start hatching this weekend :). Btw buying off eBay is not as bad as you think. Why take time out of my busy schedule to go drive to a pet store, when I can order the same item for a cheaper price and have it delivered in 2-3 days (free of charge) to my doorstep? Then I also get discounts on gas and my phone bill whenever I buy an eBay gift card, so eBay is my go-to for everything. But to each his own, I won't try to convert you :)

Last edited:
Thanks, my chicks should start hatching this weekend
smile.png
. Btw buying off eBay is not as bad as you think. Why take time out of my busy schedule to go drive to a pet store, when I can order the same item for a cheaper price and have it delivered in 2-3 days (free of charge) to my doorstep? Then I also get discounts on gas and my phone bill whenever I buy an eBay gift card, so eBay is my go-to for everything. But to each his own, I won't try to convert you
smile.png
[/QUOTE]

I can not imagine life with out ebay / you-tube / forums.

All I need is a forum to tell me what's wrong, ebay to help me find the part and a you-tube video to show me how to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom