Black bumps on toes - is this bumble foot?

MaggieRose2001

Songster
Jun 27, 2021
Bangor, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi.

I have a rooster that is limping and when I inspected his foot, I noticed he had hard lumps on each toe along with a black spot - on both feet. I just treated my first hen with bumble foot - but that was on her toe close to the pad of her foot and it was only one spot. So i am not sure if this is bumble foot or not. Also, I noticed red on the sides of his legs as well as between his toes. Is that just normal coloring? I’ve noticed it on a couple of my other roosters as well.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 20
Hi.

I have a rooster that is limping and when I inspected his foot, I noticed he had hard lumps on each toe along with a black spot - on both feet. I just treated my first hen with bumble foot - but that was on her toe close to the pad of her foot and it was only one spot. So i am not sure if this is bumble foot or not. Also, I noticed red on the sides of his legs as well as between his toes. Is that just normal coloring? I’ve noticed it on a couple of my other roosters as well.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Doesn't look like bumble to me.

So i am not sure if this is bumble foot or not. Also, I noticed red on the sides of his legs as well as between his toes. Is that just normal coloring?
If it's causing limping as you describe which IS a sign of PAIN.. I'd be treating it AS early stage bumble. It may look different each time regarding size, location, treatment required, etc. It certainly doesn't look or sound normal to me. Just MY take.

Can it be old frostbite? That should have fully healed by now. NO way I'd be okay with letting it be as it is regardless of cause. BUT if others are showing the same symptoms or already needed treatment as stated.. maybe the cause still needs to be addressed (roost height, flooring material, etc) or if it has been already then these guys just need time to recover and/or possibly treatment.

The red is standard hormones shining through. That scab.. maybe a random injury that's healing. It doesn't currently look like Scaly leg mite or anything of that sort.

:fl

If it's causing limping as you describe which IS a sign of PAIN.. I'd be treating it AS early stage bumble. It may look different each time regarding size, location, treatment required, etc. It certainly doesn't look or sound normal to me. Just MY take.

Can it be old frostbite? That should have fully healed by now. NO way I'd be okay with letting it be as it is regardless of cause. BUT if others are showing the same symptoms or already needed treatment as stated.. maybe the cause still needs to be addressed (roost height, flooring material, etc) or if it has been already then these guys just need time to recover and/or possibly treatment.

The red is standard hormones shining through. That scab.. maybe a random injury that's healing. It doesn't currently look like Scaly leg mite or anything of that sort.

:fl
Thank you for your reply. It isn’t frostbite - this is a new rooster I got as a chick this spring - so maybe 4 months old. We just moved to a new home and my chickens are now in a barn with a concrete floor. Their coop section has bedding of pine pellets and hay, but the rest of the barn is concrete with a large concrete pad outside the front doors. They free range, so they are walking on the concrete constantly coming and going from their coop to the pasture land. Do you think the concrete could be causing an issue with their feet? I never dealt with bumble foot at my old house and coop. I also read that moving and stress could cause vit A levels to be low so I have just added cod liver oil to their feed the past couple days because i read low vit A can cause feet issues.

Thank you for your reply. It isn’t frostbite - this is a new rooster I got as a chick this spring - so maybe 4 months old. We just moved to a new home and my chickens are now in a barn with a concrete floor. Their coop section has bedding of pine pellets and hay, but the rest of the barn is concrete with a large concrete pad outside the front doors. They free range, so they are walking on the concrete constantly coming and going from their coop to the pasture land. Do you think the concrete could be causing an issue with their feet? I never dealt with bumble foot at my old house and coop. I also read that moving and stress could cause vit A levels to be low so I have just added cod liver oil to their feed the past couple days because i read low vit A can cause feet issues.
I would soak in Epsom salt and warm water to clean well and losing possible scab and spray with Vetrmycin (sp?) and keep eye on it every other day. A good soak of feet never hurts

That definitely looks like it could be bumblefoot. I've seen it appear like that before.

The concrete could definitely be a factor if you haven't seen issues before.

Back
Top Bottom