Black Cochin Roos

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Damummis, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I has become apparent, now that my chicks are not chicks, I have too many roos.
    I have 2 black cochin roos from McMurray that I will need to re-home. If I were to sell them, what is the reasonable going price? I have no idea what to charge.

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Ten dollars is a reasonable price if you're not a breeder and these are just cockerels leftover from a hatch. So you don't want to make it too expensive, also considering they probably won't be show quality.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It really depends on your local area. I had trouble giving mine away recently, and one was a nice looking young Blue Orpington male. Mixed breeds are even harder.

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I live in an area with a bunch of other breeders but I still have a hard time just giving away roosters that I don't want. I would start a bit high and scale down to try to hook a buyer.

5. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Why not raise them to 20~24 weeks and then process them for the dinner table? That's what's usually done with a managed flock of chickens. Yum yum! [​IMG]

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Cochins do make good meaties...

7. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    That's what I am thinking.

8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    They probably aren't show-quality so they aren't worth that much in $'s. I'd try give them away or sell them for a price that is reasonable in your area. If you can't get them sold use them as meaties.

9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Cochin roos are docile and pretty even if they're not show quality. Is there a 4-H kid or 4-H group that wants a nice county fair chicken?

If I lived closer I'd take him.

10. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Quote:Maybe, I will keep one of the cochins and not the EE'er. Either way I have 2 to many roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by