black comb

Is the skin of the bird in question black, or just the comb? An Araucana x Warren would not usually be fibro, but I've found that a melanised bird can sometimes have a dark wash to their comb.

If the skin is also black, then the bird is fibro (and likely with a different breed mixed in); you will often see a burgundy cast to the comb as the bird reaches maturity, particularly if the bird is impure for fibro (which is likely). You can therefore identify any males through that purple colour, as pullets will not get it until POL. I'd like to see photos too, if I may.

C639DA46-29F1-4FE6-ADD4-3CC085634002.jpeg
A1C771AD-0428-41FE-A1BC-E5AA911D43E8.jpeg
C8747A2A-8B8A-4E5E-823C-0955600E8FF5.jpeg
DA4D8126-4301-4413-A05A-BB329EA08248.jpeg
this is my first hatch from these. can you let me know if the little araucana in the back is a cock or hen. please.

Agreed; both pullets. Love the Araucana; it has always been my favourite breed.

The mixed pullet is not fibro, just melanised in the comb. If you look to her breast, the salmon colour there is female-specific. Fingers crossed for green eggs from her; I have several of a similar mix and their eggs vary from mossy green to olive.

Last edited:
thank you, i was hoping it was a hen, i was worried because this one has brown pattern on the wings, while the other hen was black with a tiny bit of brown at the throat and the feathers on her back had a green / blue sheen to it, she was a very pretty bird. i still think the araucana might be a cockerel, he has this strut about him, hope i am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom