Black comet?? Tractor supply???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leahcim823, Mar 4, 2014.

1. leahcim823

leahcim823 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    I think I got snookered at tractor supply, they had these chicks marked at black comets... (Not comm black). So I don't think anything of it and get 6 little guys. I get home and look it up and there's no such breed??? So I'm wondering what these guys are I'm guess they are a mix.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They have the white color on there heads, and under side.
    Thanks

2. bhwk40

bhwk40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2013
    North-East Ohio
    Im gonna guess they could be black sex link - black stars

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

They look like barred rocks or cuckoo marans to me. If they have a neat defined looking dot they are pullets. If the spot is large or messier looking spots that is a cockeral.

Don't feel bad........ My TSC has chicks labled as Green Laced Wyandottes. Just google that one!

1 person likes this.
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

First, none of these made up names for the various mixes-hybrids are "breeds". They're chickens, for certain and they serve a purpose. The hatcheries crank them out and make up all kinds of names. Comm Black, Black Star, Black Sex Links on the black side, and Cinnamon Queen, Amber Star, Golden Comet, etc, etc on the red side.

The chicks you got a based off the Barred Rock, but guessing as to what? Who knows. There's likely a bunch of males in that photo, that much seems certain. They'll eat good. Hope that's what you wanted.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    When I hear "comet" I think of a sex link chicken. If these are indeed black sex link then you'd have all males.

I can't think of any reason for a chick supplier to sell all males for layer breed so must be something else. Maybe someone at the store has an idea what they are and intended use.

6. leahcim823

leahcim823 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    We got them for laying not eating, if they are sex links.... They are all makes which mean dinner plate! :/
    I was just wondering what everyone's ideas were, sorry if I annoyed a few of you :/

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not an annoyance at all.

Whatever the latest silly name these kinds of mixes are labelled, they look to be Barred Rock based and are likely intended to be a Black Sex Link or reverse Black bird, with the the BR having been the cockbird rather than the hen in the blend. In any case, it is quite possible these were "straight run" which means males will dominate, as a rule.

If you choose to grow out and eat the young males, they are quite tasty.

If you're searching specifically for eggs laying and want to take males out of the picture, a proper sex link, where you can positively identify the females in sales tank? Perfect, which is why they make such hybrids in the first place.

If it were me? I'd probably keep these and enjoy raising them. But….. I'd probably head back down to TSC and pickup some known female sexlinks. If in doubt? Go with the Red Sex Link. There is an almost zero chance of choosing males, as the males will appear yellow/white as the females will appear dusty reddish buff, of course. Have fun with your new chicks.

8. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I reread all the responses and personally don't get any indication of annoyance. As is to why they are saying the same thing is we all type at different speeds and once hitting submit realize many posted relative to being the first response not purposely being redundant.

9. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    See what I mean!

Fred must type at a rate of 120 words per minute and I'm easily distracted so always take a long time finishing a thought. Look Squirrel!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Personally, I think Fred types faster than the speed of light. But, no matter he knows what he is talking about! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by