Black Concord chickens

UncommonOpossum

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2017
Alabama
I bought a couple of these Black Concord pullets from my local tractor supply and I can't find any breed information on these birds at ALL. I consider myself a Google adept, but I'm falling short here. Any suggestions? Has anyone heard of these Black Concords?

Unless some hatchery has come up with a fancy name for another hybrid, like the "Asian black", there are no black Concords. Could they be black Cochins? Some other black breeds are Australorps, Giants, Langshans, Minorcas, Sumatras, and black sex links.

I bought a couple of these Black Concord pullets from my local tractor supply and I can't find any breed information on these birds at ALL. I consider myself a Google adept, but I'm falling short here. Any suggestions? Has anyone heard of these Black Concords?
Same thing here. I bought several of them and can't find anything on them. Guess their gonna be little mystery chickens

I kinda tracked down the Black Concord. They are a black sex link from Hoover's Hatchery. The nice gal on the phone couldn't tell me what the cross was. Their standard BSL cross is (she said) ProductionRed/BarredRock

hi,
i am new to this group stumbled on it looking for info about the black concord chicks that tractor supply had .I too bought some wanting only hens I bought pullets.I ask when I bought them what if they turn out to be roosters..Since i had just put 6 in the freezer and did not want to do that again. they said they would take them back .... I just read the post by a person on here so I looked up Black sex Link and the description is ....when they hatch males will have a white spot on head other wise the chicks will be black ...hummmm all of mine have white spots and not just on the head....so I called tractor supply and told them all the info i had ..he said if they turned out to be roosters they would refund my purchase price..ok but I wont know until nov. maybe ? and what about the food and i was told to come back and they would give me 6 more chicks with out white spots ..ok what else could I do .The chicks were waiting on me in a box ,,i went back to the tank and showed the man the white on the one left in the tank ..He said the ones in the box had no white on them and they were from the same bunch I had bought mine ,,,brought them home they are totally different then the others bur they still have white wow ,,no more tractor supply ..There is a good co opp in Blue Ridge Ga. I will go back to them ..but thanks for all the help to find out what they were I could find nothing ,,,thankyou again

IMG_1288.jpg
IMG_1289.JPG
Hi Barbara!

After talking to the gal at Privett Hatchery and reading your post, I'm guessing (hoping!) that this particular BSL cross has different gender markers at hatch than the standard (maybe not, after further reading). Also assuming the Hatchery has tested the cross and actually shipped pullets for a sexed order to TSC. I only took one and she looked the same as all the others... all black with some cream under her neck and on her bottom. One picture is 8/4 and the one in my hand is from just now. Hope this helps and I really hope you got all girls!!!

Adding this BSL description:

"Black sexlinks are the result of crossing a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red rooster over Barred Plymouth Rock females. Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sexlinks are often referred to as Rock Reds."

It looks like I got a girl. Please let me know what you got when you know! I'm following this thread and will get an email to any replies.

Last edited:
I kinda tracked down the Black Concord. They are a black sex link from Hoover's Hatchery. The nice gal on the phone couldn't tell me what the cross was. Their standard BSL cross is (she said) ProductionRed/BarredRock

Hmmm, so they're a fancy name for a hybrid after all.

View attachment 1105477 View attachment 1105478 Hi Barbara!

After talking to the gal at Privett Hatchery and reading your post, I'm guessing (hoping!) that this particular BSL cross has different gender markers at hatch than the standard (maybe not, after further reading). Also assuming the Hatchery has tested the cross and actually shipped pullets for a sexed order to TSC. I only took one and she looked the same as all the others... all black with some cream under her neck and on her bottom. One picture is 8/4 and the one in my hand is from just now. Hope this helps and I really hope you got all girls!!!

Adding this BSL description:

"Black sexlinks are the result of crossing a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red rooster over Barred Plymouth Rock females. Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sexlinks are often referred to as Rock Reds."

It looks like I got a girl. Please let me know what you got when you know! I'm following this thread and will get an email to any replies.

While hatcheries often use RIR or NH x barred Rocks to create black sex links, they are certainly not the only way to achieve them. Black sex links can created by crossing any non-barred, non-white male with a barred female. The female can be a barred Rock, cuckoo Marans or any barred mixed breed. The hen passes on the barring gene to the male offspring only. As a result the cockerel chicks have a head spot and pullet chicks do not. That head spot indicates the presence of barring.

They are the same as Asian Blacks, Which are good, sweet and very hardy birds. I have a couple hens I bought from Hoover's. Bought several " Concord Blacks" From TS and Just looking on Hoover's I noticed when you scroll down under Asian Blacks they are also listed as Concord Blacks with Availability dates. So, glad to have bought more for a lower price because they are some really good chickens. Hope this helps

Hmmm, so they're a fancy name for a hybrid after all.

While hatcheries often use RIR or NH x barred Rocks to create black sex links, they are certainly not the only way to achieve them. Black sex links can created by crossing any non-barred, non-white male with a barred female. The female can be a barred Rock, cuckoo Marans or any barred mixed breed. The hen passes on the barring gene to the male offspring only. As a result the cockerel chicks have a head spot and pullet chicks do not. That head spot indicates the presence of barring.
Go to Hoover's and click on Asian Blacks than scroll down, they are also listed as Concord Blacks. I'm definitely hoping the Concord Blacks are the same as Asian Blacks which I bought last year from Hoover's and Turned out to be amazing hens. So I'll definitely be happy if my TSupply buy are the same.

hi,
i am new to this group stumbled on it looking for info about the black concord chicks that tractor supply had .I too bought some wanting only hens I bought pullets.I ask when I bought them what if they turn out to be roosters..Since i had just put 6 in the freezer and did not want to do that again. they said they would take them back .... I just read the post by a person on here so I looked up Black sex Link and the description is ....when they hatch males will have a white spot on head other wise the chicks will be black ...hummmm all of mine have white spots and not just on the head....so I called tractor supply and told them all the info i had ..he said if they turned out to be roosters they would refund my purchase price..ok but I wont know until nov. maybe ? and what about the food and i was told to come back and they would give me 6 more chicks with out white spots ..ok what else could I do .The chicks were waiting on me in a box ,,i went back to the tank and showed the man the white on the one left in the tank ..He said the ones in the box had no white on them and they were from the same bunch I had bought mine ,,,brought them home they are totally different then the others bur they still have white wow ,,no more tractor supply ..There is a good co opp in Blue Ridge Ga. I will go back to them ..but thanks for all the help to find out what they were I could find nothing ,,,thankyou again
If you look under Asian Blacks at Hoover's and scroll all the way down, they are called Concord Blacks. They aren't sex links. I was a bit confused myself when I bought some until I checked Hoover's, which I've bough a lot of chicks from including sex links and Asian Blacks. If they are Asian Blacks, they're very good, friendly, hardy, well laying hens that I just adore. So for what I'm seeing on Hoovers site is Concord Blacks Are Asian Blacks

Back
Top Bottom