1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Cone/Face???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amynbrent, Oct 2, 2011.

1. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    I have an approx 2 y/o maybe older Mille Fleur. He is healthy, acting and eating fine but I noticed that his cone is turning black as well as a portion of his head/face where the cone meets. I noticed a few weeks ago that it was a pale pinkish and thought it was because of his age. Is this something that happens with age? This is my first run with chickens and this roo was given to me by my friend so I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks!

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    is it cold in your area? it may be frostbite. a picture would help.
    P.S. it's actually comb, not cone [​IMG]

ETA: do you have turkeys? they can give chickens blackhead disease; i don't actually know what the symtpoms are though. good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you will, do a search for favus, fowl pox, and frostbite here on BYC. Many have posted pictures that might help you identify the problem.

All three of those conditions can cause changes to the comb. However, it might not be any of those.

I hope this helps.

4. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    oops on the spelling lol...I knew that and I did it twice! [​IMG]

It's not that cold but the temp did drop alot over the last few day. The heat lamp has been on and their in the coop at night. I'll check ou the pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by