Black Copper Maran characteristics

Roward74023

Chirping
Sep 1, 2016
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
I hatched out a started flock of BCMs around 3 months ago. I got the hatching eggs from a family member, and the flock certainly LOOKED like BCMs (not that I'm experienced with them at all).

My question concerns breed characteristics. Some have solid black eyes with no feet feathers, while some have coppery flecked eyes WITH feet feathers. And within both variations, some have white tips on a few of their wing feathers, while others do not.

I'm assuming that these variations indicate that the birds aren't pure breed? I'm sorry I don't have pics (phone saying something about I don't have permissions...who knows).

Also, gender doesn't seem to factor into the variations...they're either one or the other regardless of sex.

Thank you in advance to the BYC pros!

Young birds can have white in feathers that might go away with the next molt to adult feathers. Pictures would help if you have time. The main way to tell is once they start laying if they are dark chocolate eggs. Some people breed more for egg color than appearance so it might just be some normal variation in the colors you mention, and some people do still breed the ones without feathered legs too. Some even prefer the clean legs so its not a big deal unless putting them in a chicken show.

Back
Top Bottom