Black Copper Maran Chick... Still hope for girl??

Suburban Sprouts

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I recently hatched a batch of eggs - olive eggers and BCM... only one of the black copper marans hatched
hmm.png

They are two weeks old now and my ONE black copper maran has a little comb that seems larger to me than I remember my RIR, Cuckoo Maran or Australorp hens having at two weeks...

Is there any hope that this chick is a girl, or am I corrent in thinking it's Roo-ville for my one prized baby!!??
hit.gif

I tried taking pics but I couldn't get the comb to show up in any sort of usable detail... But I'd guess it's about 1/8" tall.

Just me but think yes.I have 10 in the garage and two are roos the rest are up for grabs.I keep scanning all pics and it would seem to me BCM hens have a bit more coomb than most ?!
fl.gif

A photo would really help. It has been my experience that some of the boys will show you who is who by around 10 days, others can be sneaky little pete's and catch you off guard just as you thought that you may have a pullet. I have one little blue copper that is 3 mos old and until the last week and half I would have sworn that he was a she. If you can post photos that would be best in helping determining the sex.
smile.png

Pinkchick is it possible to tell by leg thicknest! I have have 2 BCM that are roos which is fine good feathers down legs etc but the rest are half and half some hens for sure but as you say sneaky group.My Wellsummers are at least easier!
tongue.png

I have some RIR and Production Red type chicks, sexed pullets, and they do have beginnings of combs but nothing that screams roo (2 of my first chicks were RIR roos and I knew it early even though I'd never had a roo before, those breeds just get big combs)

However, my BCM chicks the girls have practically NO combs at several months old --- any comb on those guys seems to be a definite ROO.

Quote:
Sorry about the delay in response to your question....in my experience.....yes and no, boys seem to have larger thicker legs but I wouldn't count on it as the only sign to determine sex. I watch the combs, their behaviors, body language and also feather growth. My females tend to feather faster than the males, but the comb is the best thing to watch for. I've had a few pullets that had bigger pinker combs at an early age but the combs remained that size and color until just before point of lay. I can usually call the sex of the babies by about 4 days to a week just by feather growth. I mark who I think is who and watch them grow to see who goes to the freezer or who gets to hang around.
smile.png

Have done the same thing and bat 90% most of the time esp body language but these Marans are hard. However there is one making a very pathetic attempt at a crow ??
tongue.png
Thank you for the help will knew soon enough but half the fun is .... is she or isn't he ??
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom