Black Copper Maran, minus the copper?

TillyD

Songster
Jun 1, 2022
I was given two Marans, one is a cuckoo, and the other I was told is a black copper... But he doesn't have any copper on him!? He is anout 12 weeks old, and the sweetest baby! He likes cuddles in my lap, and doesn't square up to the other boys... Just wondering if he doesn't have copper yet, will it come in? My 8 week old Copper Maran is RED on her neck! Is this boy not a copper variety? Or is he just not red yet?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220629-201831_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220629-201831_Gallery.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 44
Letting them sit in you lap can make them mean?!
Unfortunately, yes. Coddling, cuddling, petting cockerels makes them loose their fear of you and think you're below them in the pecking order, when hormones kick in, they'll have no respect of you and want to flog you to make sure you know your place. Some roos don't get mean but I'd say at least 80% do from pet treatment. Once you confirm a cockerel, ignore.
:[

Unfortunately, yes. Coddling, cuddling, petting cockerels makes them loose their fear of you and think you're below them in the pecking order, when hormones kick in, they'll have no respect of you and want to flog you to make sure you know your place. Some roos don't get mean but I'd say at least 80% do from pet treatment. Once you confirm a cockerel, ignore.
:[
That sucks... All my chickens are cockerels... I got 8 straight run and 6 were boys... 🤔 The girls don't like me. They run from me. I don't force them. I don't want to just ignore all my chickens....

Yeah, I know. Just focus on your pullets, treats are nice.
They won't take them from me... They like my son and husband... *Sigh* I have 15 babies, I hatched... I guess I'll focus on them and tell my son to stop cuddling his baby... He loves that rooster so dang much... 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom