Black Copper Maran Pullets

Here is my favorite hen, Cheepa when she was about 5 1/2 mos old. She is kinda small for a BCM so she prob looks closer to a 4 mos old in this pic sizewise -although she does have reddening of the face, wattles, and comb that show she is older (about laying age). She lays my avatar egg color. You can't see her legs in the photo but they are feathered on the outside leg and down the outer toe. Some bcms do not have feathered shanks though. The APA standard does call for feathering on the BCMs now that they are approved. Sometimes the younger pullets do not have all thier coppering in on thier hackles either so may appear more black but you can get the general idea.
45258_cheepa3.jpg

Another pic of Cheepa standing up

45258_cheepa.jpg

Here is a pic of a baby chick. This is a little cockeral. The chicks will have white down and sometimes white on the tips of thier wings which should moult out.
45258_dark_egged_roo.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Black Copper Marans, Most of them you see are not colored very well. You usually see a lot of copper all the through the breast and smutty on the wings. Or they have yellow more like the welsummer in the neck. Yours looks great as far as I am concerned. I ordered some black coppers from a local hatchery at http://www.darkbrownegglayers.com and I am really enjoying them. One of them turned out all black but she is very big and beautiful

Thank you. Not all my girls look that good lol. Most of them are on the darker side (in need of more coppering in the hackle) and I have one named Sedona because she has a little red in her chest, of course, she has really good hackle coppering lol. She is from a different breeder than most of my others are. You can breed those redder girls to darker boys and vice versa to try and get them the appropriate colors. The marans always seem to be a work in progress and a challenge.

7-8 weeks old and for sale. I have 12 BCM pullets waiting for a home. Hope the pic helps. She has copper coming in on her neck.

f96f239d-1.jpg

Quote:
Some people do sell featherless shanks BCM but I am trying to breed for French standard.

Since the BCMs are now approved by the APA it is also now the American standard that they have feathered shanks/outer toe as well
smile.png
So you could just say you are breeding towards the APA standard now. Very cute chick, btw, I love her street-sweeper shanks and toes lol !!

Back
Top Bottom