Black copper Maran question?

Chulke

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
So one of my bcm's layed her first egg yesterday ( i was very excited) late in the afternoon somewhere around 2 to 2:30 roughly. She began to brood I think as soon as she layed the egg. I noticed this and so I promptly went in to collect the egg so hopefully she doesn't get broody. She got rather mad when i went in to collect the egg...she got off the egg and stayed near by and just squaked...Anyway, I watched her off and on most of the day today and she never layed an egg. Is she holding off till tomorrow morning? I know most chickens lay in the a.m. But why did she not lay today? Just wondering if this is normal. Thanks in advance. Oh...by the way...one of my rir's layed her first egg today too...it was quite small and speckled white and brown on one end. I was excited about that too...just not quite as excited as the Maran egg...
big_smile.png

When hens first start laying, they lay very sporadic. It may be days or even weeks before you see more eggs and they may be irregular in shape and size. They usually start out small (called pullet eggs) and then get larger with time. I find that most of my BCM hens lay every other day, or even every three days. Once she gets going, she should become more regular in her laying. I have hens that lay morning and evening. I don't have very many that lay really early though. My RIR's lay almost every day during the laying cycle. Good luck on your new eggs.

Quote:
X2 pullets do not lay everyday... and so far the only hen that isn't ticked at me for taking eggs out from under her is my barred rock..
. and my BCMs are some of my worst layers! they will take a week off sometimes... but its worth it for those wonderful dark eggs!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom