Black Copper Marans - cockerel or Pullet?

l1sagayl3

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2018
Broken Arrow, OK
One more, if you please! I also have a French Black Copper Marans that is approximately 4 weeks old. She also was sold as a pullet but the more I read, the more I see that these are almost impossible to sex. Anyone have any ideas??
8B475A08-26CF-408D-8310-046381A84209.jpeg 77B1A984-21A9-4B47-B2FA-CEDD1CFDFA8D.jpeg

As one of the most impatient people in the world .... playing the “is this pullet really a pullet” waiting game is not for the faint of heart!

Also - I’m loving her/his angtsy teenage look with all the half grown in feathers!

Looks like a pullet to me. By this age, my Marans cockerels have much bigger and redder combs.

Also, you don't have to refer to Marans as "French" since your birds were likely bred and raised in the United States. It is correct to call them simply Black Copper Marans. They are a French breed by origin, but unless they came directly from France you don't have to throw the "French" in there. :)

Also, you don't have to refer to Marans as "French" since your birds were likely bred and raised in the United States. It is correct to call them simply Black Copper Marans. They are a French breed by origin, but unless they came directly from France you don't have to throw the "French" in there. :)

As @ronott1 said, there are two kinds of BCMs. The French type with feathered shanks and a clean legged version which is the standard here in the UK, so if they are feather legged then it is correct to call them French Black Copper Marans. You can also get the clean legged variety in the USA and they are just Black Copper Marans.

As regards the sex of this chick, it is still too early to say for sure but nothing to indicate it is a cockerel at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom