Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I actually have a BCM from Christine at RFR. Also have a BLRW and lavender ameraucana. Nothing but good things to say. I know she also has LP lines, and the new greenfire imports in the works.

Yes, I don't know how she does it! I worry about 4 little birds and she has pens of different breeds. She was highly recommended to me from someone on the East Coast who got Breda hatching eggs from her. I just got a Blue Breda juvie pullet from her this month - a beauty and a sweetie. The East Coast customer loved her Blue Breda pullet so much she wished she hadn't sold the other 4 birds but she didn't have enough space plus some hatched as roos. Those Blue Breda roos have got to be one of the most beautiful I've ever seen and perhaps the Salmon Faverolles roos also. A different breeder mis-shipped a Breda cockerel to us and he was the friendliest, most outgoing, curious, unafraid breed we ever had - he's re-homed to our friend's farm in Riverside but I hated to let him go. Our friends and we have had different Marans before - different breeders, different varieties - they seemed calm enough around humans but we didn't care for them as pets and they were too aggressive toward our gentle breeds. The Breda make great gentle pets and the females seem non-combative in nature.

You have a Lavender Amer? Wow - have you any eggs from her? Egg color?

LOL.
tongue.png
What do you mean exactly? She has that racoon, badger mask thing going on but other than that I don't think anything.
ok i see now(thanks) .... my only excuse is being color blind

I actually have a BCM from Christine at RFR. Also have a BLRW and lavender ameraucana. Nothing but good things to say. I know she also has LP lines, and the new greenfire imports in the works.

Sunbird Farms in Central Calif (Visalia) has Bresse and Barbezieux (French breeds) and non-French like Sulmtaler, Niederrheiner, and Isbar. Sunbird seems to specialize in meat birds that also are good layers but you'd have to ask about Marans. If you decide on either the Bresse or Barbezieux French breeds you can contact them or look over their website and call to see what other breeds they have - I suspect they don't list all their breeds as the website removes/adds breeds from time to time. http://sunbirdfarms.com/about/
I have dealt with RFR of CA personally with another breed I bought and can recommend this breeder.

Start here:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/25/california-northern/62450

Plenty of breeders in the northern area, not very many offer sexed chicks to my knowledge. You are right about the time of year in regards to that too. Pullets might be a better option at this point, or wating til spring. Alchemist Farms, CR Poultry, Rare Feathers Ranch (RFR of CA just a few posts above), Unionhill ranch are all ones ive reasearched, dealt with, or hope to deal with in the very near future. All have some wonderful looking Marans.

Good luck to you! And welcome to the boards.

Thanks to all of you for your responses! I've reached out to RFR.

Sylvester017 I had no idea it was even possible to get other French breeds here. At this point I'm in it for the eggs but if that goes well, who knows... thanks for letting me know!

Yes, I don't know how she does it! I worry about 4 little birds and she has pens of different breeds. She was highly recommended to me from someone on the East Coast who got Breda hatching eggs from her. I just got a Blue Breda juvie pullet from her this month - a beauty and a sweetie. The East Coast customer loved her Blue Breda pullet so much she wished she hadn't sold the other 4 birds but she didn't have enough space plus some hatched as roos. Those Blue Breda roos have got to be one of the most beautiful I've ever seen and perhaps the Salmon Faverolles roos also. A different breeder mis-shipped a Breda cockerel to us and he was the friendliest, most outgoing, curious, unafraid breed we ever had - he's re-homed to our friend's farm in Riverside but I hated to let him go. Our friends and we have had different Marans before - different breeders, different varieties - they seemed calm enough around humans but we didn't care for them as pets and they were too aggressive toward our gentle breeds. The Breda make great gentle pets and the females seem non-combative in nature.

You have a Lavender Amer? Wow - have you any eggs from her? Egg color?

She certainly has her work cut out for her, and she still manages to fit in her own projects. Pretty impressive indeed. Her bredas are beautiful. I have to admit though, im not the biggest fan of feathered shanks. My marans gets a pass because she does lay a very pretty egg.
tongue.png
I would also agree on your comment in regards to them being agressive towards other birds. Not in a bad way, jut more "onry" imo. Shes tries to be assertive within the flock and can pick on the youngsters. I got mine as an 8 month old pullet, so she isnt the most affectionate either. I think had i got her when she was younger things would be different. She has definitley warmed up to me, can still be somewhat skittish, but once the birds come running, she is usually not too far behind.

No eggs yet, only 2 months old and when she does it should be the typical blue ameraucana colored egg. Beautiful bird though.

She certainly has her work cut out for her, and she still manages to fit in her own projects. Pretty impressive indeed. Her bredas are beautiful. I have to admit though, im not the biggest fan of feathered shanks. My marans gets a pass because she does lay a very pretty egg.
tongue.png
I would also agree on your comment in regards to them being agressive towards other birds. Not in a bad way, jut more "onry" imo. Shes tries to be assertive within the flock and can pick on the youngsters. I got mine as an 8 month old pullet, so she isnt the most affectionate either. I think had i got her when she was younger things would be different. She has definitley warmed up to me, can still be somewhat skittish, but once the birds come running, she is usually not too far behind.

No eggs yet, only 2 months old and when she does it should be the typical blue ameraucana colored egg. Beautiful bird though.
Our Marans (blue copper and black copper varieties) are very mellow birds. The cock/erels are always gentlemen, even the randy youngsters. None has ever even though of coming at me and are very gentle with the hens and pullets especially.

Our Marans (blue copper and black copper varieties) are very mellow birds. The cock/erels are always gentlemen, even the randy youngsters. None has ever even though of coming at me and are very gentle with the hens and pullets especially.
You would certainly know better than I and I wouldn't doubt it one bit. I was only reffering to my experiences with my hen and "onry" is the word I would use, didnt mean aggressive. Hogging the treats sometimes, "walk-by pecks" at the young-ins. Things of that nature. I know the other birds I got at the same time are much much more mellow in general, with me and young birds. I have heard things on both sides regarding marans and IMO there is a ton of variables that come into play in regards to disposition and human acclimation.

I just wanted to update you all. I finally on your suggestion contacted the woman I got the eggs from. The verdict is that the blue chick is a Fauvacana! (Faverolle Roo over Ameraucana).

Her bredas are beautiful. I have to admit though, im not the biggest fan of feathered shanks.

In our SoCal climate the feather-footed breeds do well in our yard (Silkies) so we're optimistic about the Breda. A breeder shared that in their wet East Coast climate their Breda didn't do so well but we're a lot drier climate here and the Silkies have been doing fine for 4 years. Here's hoping!

My marans gets a pass because she does lay a very pretty egg.
tongue.png

We got our Marans as an older pullet as well. Except ours was aggressive toward the smaller alpha Leghorn but the Leghorn put her in her place. When she couldn't bully the Leghorn she decided on the roost to pick one Silkie's head bald to the skin. On another Silkie she viciously attacked it til it screamed. These Marans seem to love picking on the smaller or helpless breeds. Our friend had the same issue with a different variety Marans. I think these girls need to be in a flock of their own breed or with other dominant breeds that will stand up to their challenges. Marans hens look so sweet calm and demure but they tend toward dominance.

You must post her first eggs as those are usually the best color!

Back
Top Bottom