Black Copper Marans discussion thread

It takes about a month for the eggs to get to a good size, by which time the color should be good too, but with some it might already start to fade out... They will probably be a bit larger in the second year of lay, and of course after every molt the color "resets" .
My Greenfire Birchen Marans that I hatch in 2012 didn't start laying until she was about 30 weeks old. Her first eggs were over 60 grams but never got much bigger than about 68 grams. Some of my Tammy Kostas line of Black Copper started laying as early as 18 weeks and their eggs were tinny (45 grams) but when they had been laying for 3 months were laying 70+ grams eggs. I think the age that the pullets start laying says something about the line. Since the Greenfire line is the new thing, I would like to know how old they are when they start laying. I also would like to know their egg size. Egg size also says something about the bird.

My Greenfire Birchen Marans that I hatch in 2012 didn't start laying until she was about 30 weeks old. Her first eggs were over 60 grams but never got much bigger than about 68 grams. Some of my Tammy Kostas line of Black Copper started laying as early as 18 weeks and their eggs were tinny (45 grams) but when they had been laying for 3 months were laying 70+ grams eggs. I think the age that the pullets start laying says something about the line. Since the Greenfire line is the new thing, I would like to know how old they are when they start laying. I also would like to know their egg size. Egg size also says something about the bird.
I'm really anxious to see the egg color on the new GFF BCMs.

Also what does initial egg size say about the chicken? I thought they usually start small and gradually get bigger? Im new to this breed so more information is always great. Thank you!

Also what does initial egg size say about the chicken? I thought they usually start small and gradually get bigger? Im new to this breed so more information is always great. Thank you!

It feel that egg size is more an age thing. A pullet that lays a 45 gram egg at 18 weeks may be laying 50 gram eggs by 20 weeks, 55 gram eggs by 22 weeks, 58 gram eggs by 24 weeks, 60 gram eggs by 26 weeks, 62 gram eggs by 28 weeks, 64 gram eggs by 30 weeks etc. until they get to their full sized egg.

Likewise a pullet from the same line as the hen above may lay her first egg at 26 weeks at 60 grams, then by 28 weeks be laying eggs that are 62 grams etc. and lay the same sized full sized egg as the first example.

Lines that are breed for high production usually start laying at a younger age (i.e. 18-22 weeks). If no emphasis is placed on production the line typically will start laying at a later age (i.e. 28 weeks).

Hens that are capable of laying jumbo sized eggs that start laying young often have problems with prolaps. So...the high production lines tend to produce smaller eggs (i.e. 40 gram first eggs at say 20 weeks, with full sized eggs topping out at 68 grams). Some people would be very happy to get 225, 68 gram eggs a year from their hen. Others would be more happy to get 180, 75 gram eggs a year from their hen. To produce larger eggs with out the high risk of prolasp the line tends to have to lay first eggs and an older age (i.e. 28-30 weeks).

So....I want to know what age the pullets are laying because 1) that may tell me if any emphasis has been places on production as well as being an indicator of vigor in the line. 2) I like to know what egg size the pullets are laying at what age because that may tell me if they are going to have risk of prolaps as well as what size eggs they might be capable of laying at full size.

Here are some of my Marans flock egg photos.

Here is an egg from a pullet from the Tammy Kostas line. If you can't see the weight, that was an 88 gram eggs. This pullet didn't start laying until she was 9 months old. After she started laying she laid very consistently and very dark. I would take a whole flock of hens just like her. If she had started laying at 18 weeks I think it would have cause problems with her from the size of eggs she lays. Even though she was from a line breed for production she started laying later to have time to fill out and make room for the larger sized eggs.

I couldn't find my egg chart for this photo, but yes, that is what a #9 egg looks like. It was laid by a hen from the Pam Mynard line. It was only about 50 grams. That hen was NOT a consistent dark egg layer. She started laying at 23 weeks and her maxium egg size was in the 70-71 gram egg size. Some would rather have a #9 egg that is only 50 grams. Other would prefer an 88 gram egg that is only a #7. These differences in preferences is why no two Marans flocks are breed the same way.

Here are some of the pullet eggs from the Pam Mynard line. They were #6 and about 50 grams at 23 weeks.

So not all Marans are created equal. Some are breed for egg color with no consideration of egg size or production. Some are breed for a balance of production, egg size, egg color, etc. Some are breed for body type with no regard to production. Some are breed from Body type and feather color with no regard for production. Some are breed for a balance of body type, plumage color, and egg color with not regard to production or egg size, etc. I have done my share of sampling when it comes to Marans and have had stock from 7 different breeders. I have compared and contrasted lines and talked to the breeders I got them from about their goals and breeding methods. I have come to some of my own ideas about how flock goals effect the egg production. I would like to know where the "new line" fits into my ideas to see what I can divine about the breeder's focus was that Greenfire imported stock from and what value this line may offer to the Marans breeders in the USA.

One more photo while I have them out....This is just a random carton of eggs that I sold as hatching eggs. I took the photo because the buyer asked me to photo them before she made the hour trip to pick up the eggs. Not as dark as the eggs show above but the color of the everyday eggs from the flock.

Last edited:
Garydean26
Wow! Thank you so much for all that information I learnt so much...actually about breeding in general and goals for breeders. I really appreciate your time

Back
Top Bottom