Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Garydean26 we were talking about egg size and the next day my lavender Orpingtons started laying humongous eggs! Not sure if this was her first egg or she sudden decided to show me!

Do you know for sure that he is a Marans? Poor chewed up old man!!!

With his feather shafts looking so ratty, you might want to check him over carefully for mites and lice.

The big difference between black copper and wheaten is how the color on the neck is.

Below is NOT A Marans, it is a bantam wheaten Ameraucana, but a good example of wheaten. Se how the color on the neck starts dark at the head, then lightens up as you go down the neck... At the base of the neck the color is a nice bright glowing color.

Black Copper, the color should stay dark from top to bottom of the neck. With no glowing halo kind of effect at the base of the neck. Also, you want the color to stay a nice dark copper... No bright glowing orange.

Hi good morning ,the rooster came from an older lady who was going to retire back to Missouri from California she told me that she brought the flock with her when she came out to California ,the hens that she did not want to part with were black copper Marans.

Anyone in Oklahoma looking for BCM pullets.  I got about 8-9 pullets back from my chickens sitter tonight where they have been for the past three months while we were in the middle of our move/work relocation.  I wanted to keep them all until everyone started to lay then choose the best two and rehome the rest.  We however don't have coop space.  The deal with the move was to go to a single breed (we had a half dozen breeds) and to reduce the flock size to less than 16 (we had been keeping around 50).  So with our new 16 bird hen house and 6 bird back up coop we don't have room to keep the Marans.  We hatched them the middle of April from 4 pens.  They are all toe punch to mark which line they are from. 

Where at in OK? :)

Anyone in Oklahoma looking for BCM pullets.  I got about 8-9 pullets back from my chickens sitter tonight where they have been for the past three months while we were in the middle of our move/work relocation.  I wanted to keep them all until everyone started to lay then choose the best two and rehome the rest.  We however don't have coop space.  The deal with the move was to go to a single breed (we had a half dozen breeds) and to reduce the flock size to less than 16 (we had been keeping around 50).  So with our new 16 bird hen house and 6 bird back up coop we don't have room to keep the Marans.  We hatched them the middle of April from 4 pens.  They are all toe punch to mark which line they are from. 
Are these still available? My cousin lives in Lahoma and I'm sure would love to have them and will give them a good home.

Are these still available? My cousin lives in Lahoma and I'm sure would love to have them and will give them a good home.

No..these are spoken for. They will be picked on this week. The guy that is getting them had a BCM line for a while but wasn't happy with it. He now has a Wheaten Marans line that he is breeding that he is happy with and wanted something to equal it in the BCM color.

I hope he gets what he is looking for. I think his background will make him a good steward for this group of girls. They are the last 8 pullets hatched from the GaryDean26 line. They are the only Marans that we were able to bring with us when we moved to McAlester, OK from Marble Falls, Texas this summer.

Below are a few photos I got of this group this week.

Out with the old and in with the new. Below is the new coop going up. It seats 16 pullets on the roost and has 4 laying boxes. They have a 12,500 square feet enclosure for their chicken run. We brought 12 GaryDean26 line Cream Legbars Pullets and the four cockerels in the front of the photo with us from Texas. We will be rebuilding the GaryDean26 line from them. The new cockerels don't look nearly as good as the cock birds we bred them from but they are still young so we will wait and see how they turn out. I was sad to leave our 2011 Cream Legbar Hen behind but hope to find a good replacement form her daughters, Granddaughters, and Great Granddaughter in the group we brought with us. We will keep close to our Marans friends and continue to mentor where we can.

Back
Top Bottom