Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Good morning Don, I hope I have some pullets out of 6 Blue Copper and 9 Black Copper chicks. I guess I have the one nice BCM hen that I can use if I end up with 15 roosters! I am not sure I want to use her. When she was younger she had some copper showing at the tips of some feathers. What do you think would you not use her? I have added a picture of what I am talking about. She is just now laying and shows none of this now. This picture isn't her but one from same batch.
That's a pretty bird, but I'll tell you what little I see from what I have learned from Don. Her back is short, tail is high. The chicks you just got will be better in those areas. She looks to have good foot feathering, and not a lot of color. I think my hens will end up looking like that, but longer backs and hopefully lower tail sets. She also looks like a heavy bird, and I'm not sure if that is good or bad. Seems like she is a little short in the leg to be that heavy, but I really don't know. I'm really just prompting Don to correct me ;)

Last edited:
I hope so, I'm learning so much through this forum. I appreciate all of you.
I have learned a ton here, too, and I'll tell you why. Last year I posted pictures of my first BCM. I had no idea how horribly bred they were, and it was tough to hear when everyone told me to butcher them all and start over. Rather than get my feelings hurt, I asked "Why?". When Don learned that I would stick around and actually take advice, he started coaching me and steering me in the right direction. I sold those birds, did much more research on breeders, and wound up buying the birds I have now. I am still just as much a novice as anyone on here, but if you can handle the criticisms, and take the advice of the people that have actually worked these birds, you will save yourself years in your breeding. They are so much more than dark eggs

Quote:
Will comment on what I can say. The back might be a little short, which would cause the tail to be higher than wanted. If you breed this female with a male that has a longer back and tail set it should improve the young fowl.

I really like her overall type and size, I like the big females as they will produce some males with good size.

The Marans experts will say she has too much fluff but I like what she is showing.

Should also say that her tail is a little pinched.

Last edited:
Will comment on what I can say. The back might be a little short, which would cause the tail to be higher than wanted. If you breed this female with a male that has a longer back and tail set it should improve the young fowl.

I really like her overall type and size, I like the big females as they will produce some males with good size.

The Marans experts will say she has too much fluff but I like what she is showing.

Don, what would this be called? I'm sure it's a fault or a DQ, but I don't know what it is

ETA: For anyone that hasn't noticed, this cockerel's tail feathers are very frayed. He's the only one like that. I have read about "tail shredding" being a problem when breeding self-blues, and wondered if this was the same thing

Last edited:

Thank you Don, Even with being mossy, pinched tail and short back! Not a total cull! I guess I am just playing with the idea. I don't know if it is a good idea to mix her with the ones I just got or not a good idea!

Finally got to the PC. If I amended any of my guesses, it would be a couple from the second group that actually look a little more girlish now that I can see them. My final prediction is 9-10 girls and 5-6 boys

Awsome! I hope you are right! I can tell 5 for sure They are just getting to the point you can start to tell. I think the slower ones will start to show up!

That's a pretty bird, but I'll tell you what little I see from what I have learned from Don. Her back is short, tail is high. The chicks you just got will be better in those areas. She looks to have good foot feathering, and not a lot of color. I think my hens will end up looking like that, but longer backs and hopefully lower tail sets.
She also looks like a heavy bird, and I'm not sure if that is good or bad. Seems like she is a little short in the leg to be that heavy, but I really don't know. I'm really just prompting Don to correct me
wink.png

lol It must have worked! I will just have to see what I end up getting. If they end up with all roosters or all culls. I have this one.

Back
Top Bottom