Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I slightly disagree with the caveat of user error. To clarify, there was a time when I would get ~80% male. And I actually posted on BYC with my befuddlement. Genetically there is nothing, and it falls under the general probability theory when you give or take for parental attributes. Our hypothesis however was that our high % of male gender Chick's was due to incubation error on our part, specifically humidity. We posited that only the male's were strong enough to break out while the females fully formed died. This is all speculation and it will be interesting to examine the gender ratios we got for a recent large hatch with over 60℅ hatch rate on shipped eggs (tx to ny). It is notable that in hatches with high% males, the hatch rate was only 33% with eggs I picked up personally from CT or my own hens. In those instances probability of males was against the general idea of a 50/50 chance in a remarkable way.

here are some recent pics of my guys...i have a group of babies and teens ( from different breeders tho) yes there is a birchen pair on the right in the one pic

hen with odd looking eye that i will not keep besides cooking

smile.png
friendly rooster

and the babies...

..my current rooster (not father of birds in pics)

super hard to keep up with this thread lol
big_smile.png

Beautiful birds. Love this rooster. I want to get Birchens!

Hey all,

I have been diligently reading this thread, and thought I should post my two boys. (I can only keep one)

What are the thoughts on this cockerel? Hatched May 12. I'm told a mix of French lines and what I can assume are North American lines.

I have another I should get photos of. He is bigger through the chest, has a more evenly serrated comb, and a more copper colour on his hackles and sickle feathers with lighter feathering.

Actually, you can kind of see him behind the big grey mixed rooster here. His comb is crooked in the front unfortunately.

Hey all,

I have been diligently reading this thread, and thought I should post my two boys. (I can only keep one)

What are the thoughts on this cockerel? Hatched May 12. I'm told a mix of French lines and what I can assume are North American lines.

I have another I should get photos of. He is bigger through the chest, has a more evenly serrated comb, and a more copper colour on his hackles and sickle feathers with lighter feathering.

Actually, you can kind of see him behind the big grey mixed rooster here. His comb is crooked in the front unfortunately.

I like the guy that is behind the tan/grey bird in the last picture.
Well what I cans see of him anyways haha. Get some photos of that guy and maybe a few of us can help you decide.

Don't forget to visit the international black copper marans thread, we have a wonderful group of people over there.

Beautiful birds.  Love this rooster.  I want to get Birchens!

Thanks! He's at my dad's farm on standby right now. He's super friendly but until I figure out what's wrong with his eye (injury from dog attack vs. some virus idk) I don't want him here :)

Redbanks what do u think about the eye of that hen I posted above?

@RedBanks i took some of the pics out so it could be shorter, but if u click on the second photo and enlarge it...that hen's eye looks odd to me. The coloring of the eye...also how big it is and the way it looks

What do u think

Back
Top Bottom