Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Here's my new French black copper maran. I'm praying for a hen. Isn't cute. These are my first chicks and I cannot stop staring at them.
1f601.png

It's hard to get a good photo. The sun is glaring off the beautiful black feathers. I love the feathered legs.
The other black chick is my barred rock. I'm also hoping a hen. I was told head spot not a good indicator for pullet or cockerel because they are not production but heritage??? Anyway I also notice my maran is a lot darker than some I see here. I hope it's really a maran. Anyone?

Last edited:
Here's my new French black copper maran. I'm praying for a hen. Isn't cute. These are my first chicks and I cannot stop staring at them.
1f601.png

It's hard to get a good photo. The sun is glaring off the beautiful black feathers. I love the feathered legs.
The other black chick is my barred rock. I'm also hoping a hen. I was told head spot not a good indicator for pullet or cockerel because they are not production but heritage??? Anyway I also notice my maran is a lot darker than some I see here. I hope it's really a maran. Anyone?

Adorable!!!! ,
1f601.png
ican't believe it's chick season already!! Lol How are they? Everybody healthy? Eating good? Have all of their toes? As they get bigger it will be easy to tell who is what!! People here will for sure help out!! Even if it's not what you wanna hear!! Lol I know!! Lol congratulations!!!!

Can I please get a critique on this guy? I originally wasn't going to hatch chicks out for anything other than meat and eggs but I think he's so good looking so I named him Handsome. He's just about 6 months old and hasn't gotten his tail in all the way yet...and please forgive the muddy run - it rained the other morning when I was taking these!

Updated pictures; 3 weeks old
big_smile.png
Although chick #2 was much slower to develop feathers, neither one has bright red combs yet.

CHICK #1

CHICK #2

Thanks for posting these pictures weekly. My FCBM is just over 1 week old now and "she" looks alot like your chick #1. Feathered out really fast although mine has much more black and really very minimal white. Now on the other hand my barred rock is developing much like your chick #2 and I fear a cockerel. Of course my family loves the barred rock the most. "He's" the smallest and most mellow but my bet is he is a cockerel and will have to go but time will tell. Im hoping my FBCM is a hen. Thanks for sharing, Ill try to post updated pictures of my FBCM tomorrow they are all sleeping now
jumpy.gif

Can anyone help me? I got 1 BCM and 1 OE they look exactly alike. They both have feathers on their legs. Same color and everything. Is there a way to tell them apart?

Can anyone help me? I got 1 BCM and 1 OE they look exactly alike. They both have feathers on their legs. Same color and everything. Is there a way to tell them apart?

Depending on how the OE was bred, he or she should have a pea comb, and look smooth/bumpy. The Marans will have a single comb, and look serrated. But you can tell from the color too. A proper BCM will look like the one to the far left; penguin, with white flecks at the eyes and on the cheeks and a pure white belly. The one of the right does not have the white on the face and probably has more of a grey belly. That's the OE.

Depending on how the OE was bred, he or she should have a pea comb, and look smooth/bumpy. The Marans will have a single comb, and look serrated. But you can tell from the color too. A proper BCM will look like the one to the far left; penguin, with white flecks at the eyes and on the cheeks and a pure white belly. The one of the right does not have the white on the face and probably has more of a grey belly. That's the OE.

Good to know
1f642.png
I ordered 3 FBCMs and 3 black Australorps chicks from a hatcheries, I couldn't tell them apart except the one with feathered legs. I bought my first batch of FBCMs from a local breeder and they were all leg feathered and now laying dark brown eggs, I wonder if the hatcheries are bred w/ something else since it's couple of $ cheaper.

Last edited:

I recently hatched OEs (An EE roo over a black austrolorp hen) that looked just like my Marans, but I could tell the difference within a week because the Marans coloring was very yellow and the OEs was very grey. From that pic I would think the one on the left is the Maran, on the right is the OE.

Back
Top Bottom