Black Copper Marans discussion thread

okay... I have my fingers warmed up...

I bought some BCM chicks 7 - 8 weeks ago for the purpose of selling those coveted dark eggs, but the more I thought about it I am really interested in breeding. You just cant find BCM in my area. If they are here, Breeders are hiding. (Let me know where you are if your out there! Central Kentucky) So I'm reading this thread as much as I can as each day allows in my spare time to learn all I can and each of your input is priceless. But I have so many ?'s, and Im confused as you would expect a newbie to be and I want to be informed before I go about this process.

1. Which would be my best bet to hatch - incubator or the old fashion way - a hen? I have two hens setting some eggs now, my first try - my Quail D-Anver insists on going broody so I thought I'd give her a try to see if she would be any account. And my Partridge Dark Brahma. If they are successful or any of my Marans are broody (I'm not sure about the breeds broodiness) then I have potential natural incubators).

It is entirely up to you.. Broodies are great to hatch marans... Depends on price of eggs...
smile.png

2. I know, or have read, that a cockeral/pullet is determined by the temp in incubation, is this true? If so then this goes back to #1 ?.

never personally found that to be true... really try to keep an even temp every time.

3. I have 3 chicks now (I lost 3 due to unknown cause, I've heard they are a more fragile chick is this true?) and will be getting 2 more from my friend that bought from the same person which are pullets. I have 2 cockerals and will have 3 pullets. Is it best to buy eggs from a breeder and hatch my own to get established? I am assuming buying pullets from a breeder are ones that are culled for undesired traites?

I do believe they are not as hardy as some other breeds and some lines have a little more resistance than others IMHO.. other opinions welcome...
4. How much is a good price for eggs from a breeder so I dont get taken.

You might ask who a good breeder is privately and then you need to ask for what color you are looking... Price doesn't always reflect quality but sometime it does... I am willing to pay a higher price from some long time breeders.... Who I would buy from depends on what line (s) I am wanting and what color.
5. Are color of Wheaten and Blue Maran eggs as dark as BCM and Cucoo (just curious tongue )

BCM's are to have the darkest eggs. Some ppl on here have dark strains of the other colors. Flocks that have been worked have darker color eggs as opposed to someone bringing in a bunch of birds, lines and throwing them together IMHO
6. If roo has some flaws should I keep and breed only a perfect roo and keep just him always, or is ok to keep the roo with some imperfections and have hens that will balance him out? (I think I have the answer to this but want to make sure I am straight in this

I haven't yet see a perfect roo.
7. How much feathering on the feet/legs and where exactly outside of leg and toe or inside of toes as well?

The standard calls for feathers on the shank and down the outside toe...not on any other toes...Not heavy feathering.. refer to standard, (link on page one) for wording.

8. What age should I begin to see the copper color show...if I dont at a certain age am I to expect none or very little? Mine are somewhere between 7 - 8 wks I believe and NO copper is present. I'm getting worried!sad

Sometimes the color doesn't show up into the hackles until they are a couple month old or older.. they are still Black copper no matter what... An overcolored male can help this.

9. How does a person go about getting eggs/birds from the french?

Not my department... Waaay costly and complicated and risky...
10. I havent seen where you grade eggs, is it just further in this thread and I havent gotten there yet in my reading?

It is because there is so much difference in technologies... cameras and monitors and we don't all see the same thing... not really a fair assesment.

11. Also is there a standard on the hens? I havent seen that either, everyone seems to focus on the Roo. But seems the Hen is just as important, or no? Yes and the standard for hens is different...there are a couple of blue links at the front of this thread.. this will answer much of you curiousities.
12. I know someone who has a VERY successful and sought after line of birds (diff breed) that they use just from their own offspring - is this what others do, or should I intertwine other breeders? If I have offspring that I use from hatchings that I mix desirable trates with and produce good birds, then cull out undesirables then I am assuming this works with BCM as well?

There are two camps here... Some that say breed line to line and others that go for hybrid vigor.... Your choice.

13. Am I understanding the ROO determines egg color - keep that roo?

The rooster is 1/2 the equation.. that is a big chunk so I consider him First as he will likely be used on more than one hen... He is the most important member of the flock.
14. If leg color is dark in the beginning - will it stay dark or does it change as the young bird gets older?

It has been my experience that melanisers change over time in the bird...even as they age... They get a pretty "set" color by 1 1/2 years of age and unless they injure feather follicles (which can turn feather white) everything stays much the same.
15. When you order eggs to hatch - do you incubate at the normal 19 - 21 days - seems I read on here someone hatched theirs after sent only a week later?

I get the hatching advice for the strain based on the seller... Some lines/birds are harder to hatch.

Thanks for posting pictures

OH I"M SO CONFUSED and with SO many questions I'm so sorry! I'm really not stupid!

Here are my pics!
Roo #1​

Congrats
celebrate.gif
Ayeup... I should have grabbed that one last week huh? ha ha.
hide.gif
(not)

Our poor little Black Copper Marans have officially hit their awkward phase within the last week. They're 3 1/2 weeks old now and looking more dinosaur-esque than ever.

228326_10100745317479730_13905040_69740019_1421307_n.jpg

Quote:
It is entirely up to you.. Broodies are great to hatch marans... Depends on price of eggs...
smile.png

2. I know, or have read, that a cockeral/pullet is determined by the temp in incubation, is this true? If so then this goes back to #1 ?.

never personally found that to be true... really try to keep an even temp every time.

3. I have 3 chicks now (I lost 3 due to unknown cause, I've heard they are a more fragile chick is this true?) and will be getting 2 more from my friend that bought from the same person which are pullets. I have 2 cockerals and will have 3 pullets. Is it best to buy eggs from a breeder and hatch my own to get established? I am assuming buying pullets from a breeder are ones that are culled for undesired traites?

I do believe they are not as hardy as some other breeds and some lines have a little more resistance than others IMHO.. other opinions welcome...
4. How much is a good price for eggs from a breeder so I dont get taken.

You might ask who a good breeder is privately and then you need to ask for what color you are looking... Price doesn't always reflect quality but sometime it does... I am willing to pay a higher price from some long time breeders.... Who I would buy from depends on what line (s) I am wanting and what color.
5. Are color of Wheaten and Blue Maran eggs as dark as BCM and Cucoo (just curious tongue )

BCM's are to have the darkest eggs. Some ppl on here have dark strains of the other colors. Flocks that have been worked have darker color eggs as opposed to someone bringing in a bunch of birds, lines and throwing them together IMHO
6. If roo has some flaws should I keep and breed only a perfect roo and keep just him always, or is ok to keep the roo with some imperfections and have hens that will balance him out? (I think I have the answer to this but want to make sure I am straight in this

I haven't yet see a perfect roo.
7. How much feathering on the feet/legs and where exactly outside of leg and toe or inside of toes as well?

The standard calls for feathers on the shank and down the outside toe...not on any other toes...Not heavy feathering.. refer to standard, (link on page one) for wording.

8. What age should I begin to see the copper color show...if I dont at a certain age am I to expect none or very little? Mine are somewhere between 7 - 8 wks I believe and NO copper is present. I'm getting worried!sad

Sometimes the color doesn't show up into the hackles until they are a couple month old or older.. they are still Black copper no matter what... An overcolored male can help this.

9. How does a person go about getting eggs/birds from the french?

Not my department... Waaay costly and complicated and risky...
10. I havent seen where you grade eggs, is it just further in this thread and I havent gotten there yet in my reading?

It is because there is so much difference in technologies... cameras and monitors and we don't all see the same thing... not really a fair assesment.

11. Also is there a standard on the hens? I havent seen that either, everyone seems to focus on the Roo. But seems the Hen is just as important, or no? Yes and the standard for hens is different...there are a couple of blue links at the front of this thread.. this will answer much of you curiousities.
12. I know someone who has a VERY successful and sought after line of birds (diff breed) that they use just from their own offspring - is this what others do, or should I intertwine other breeders? If I have offspring that I use from hatchings that I mix desirable trates with and produce good birds, then cull out undesirables then I am assuming this works with BCM as well?

There are two camps here... Some that say breed line to line and others that go for hybrid vigor.... Your choice.

13. Am I understanding the ROO determines egg color - keep that roo?

The rooster is 1/2 the equation.. that is a big chunk so I consider him First as he will likely be used on more than one hen... He is the most important member of the flock.
14. If leg color is dark in the beginning - will it stay dark or does it change as the young bird gets older?

It has been my experience that melanisers change over time in the bird...even as they age... They get a pretty "set" color by 1 1/2 years of age and unless they injure feather follicles (which can turn feather white) everything stays much the same.
15. When you order eggs to hatch - do you incubate at the normal 19 - 21 days - seems I read on here someone hatched theirs after sent only a week later?

I get the hatching advice for the strain based on the seller... Some lines/birds are harder to hatch.

Thanks for posting pictures

OH I"M SO CONFUSED and with SO many questions I'm so sorry! I'm really not stupid!

Here are my pics!
Roo #1​

Thanks so much Geebs for answering ALL those questions I had! I put your fingers to work I know!
Any opinions on the pictures of what I have so far? Or just to soon to comment? IMO just too soon I'm sure. Chicks change from day to day. I cant wait to see my birds when they are all feathered out! Going to add a few Easter Eggers in the pen to get some pretty olive eggs, what a gorgeous carton to sell!!!!! I'm so excited and anxious for these guys to just GROW ALREADY!
barnie.gif

Quote:
The daughters would -possibly- have olive eggs but the Marans hens will lay Marans eggs with or without an EE rooster...

the EE will lay whatever color your EE's lay with or without a Marans Rooster...

But if you hatch the eggs of those crosses you should get some of the hens produced to lay green or olive eggs...

-I'm sorry if that's what you meant, it just wasn't clear.-

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom