Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Quote:
The daughters would -possibly- have olive eggs but the Marans hens will lay Marans eggs with or without an EE rooster...

the EE will lay whatever color your EE's lay with or without a Marans Rooster...

But if you hatch the eggs of those crosses you should get some of the hens produced to lay green or olive eggs...

-I'm sorry if that's what you meant, it just wasn't clear.-

Yeah thats what I meant...I wasnt clear sorry....I do plan on hatching a few to see what I get. Should I breed a more blue or green egg layer - would kinda seem like a more green egg layer would make sense but then what you think isnt always what happens

Quote:
The daughters would -possibly- have olive eggs but the Marans hens will lay Marans eggs with or without an EE rooster...

the EE will lay whatever color your EE's lay with or without a Marans Rooster...

But if you hatch the eggs of those crosses you should get some of the hens produced to lay green or olive eggs...

-I'm sorry if that's what you meant, it just wasn't clear.-

Yeah thats what I meant...I wasnt clear sorry....I do plan on hatching a few to see what I get. Should I breed a more blue or green egg layer - would kinda seem like a more green egg layer would make sense but then what you think isnt always what happens

I think there's a thread somewhere that goes into olive eggers- my 'puter isn't allowing me to successfully search right now but it should be easy to find... good luck.

Here he is I got him at 3-4 weeks old @ Florida Sunshine Classic, Jan. 8-9, Lake City, FL. Fairgrounds...

Here's "Reeder"

44847_just_chickens_001.jpg

44847_just_chickens_002.jpg

44847_just_chickens_004.jpg

44847_just_chickens_005.jpg

44847_just_chickens_006.jpg

44847_just_chickens_007.jpg

44847_just_chickens_008.jpg

Head Roo "Fiesta"... (not BCM-pea/rose-ish combed)

44847_just_chickens_003.jpg

44847_just_chickens_010.jpg

44847_just_chickens_011.jpg

If I arbitrarily make up a hatch date of Dec 1stish - then he "Reeder" is 5 months old.

Taken today- partly cloudy 2:30ish.

Last edited:
Quote:

I think there's a thread somewhere that goes into olive eggers- my 'puter isn't allowing me to successfully search right now but it should be easy to find... good luck.

Thank ya! I'll look that up! DUH! I should know that myself...I'm kinda all jumbled today - a friend and I have 3 hens that have clutches of eggs under them and one has began to hatch today so I'm over excited! I had just checked her a little bit ago! This is our first time ever hatching and no clue what to expect if any would even hatch. I'm praying my little cochin bantam roo and my cochin bantam hen did their job!!! Their will be some mutts in their, we wanted so mixed cochin batams, and its just for fun to see if we would even be sucessful. SO 1 chick almost out and I could hear scratching in another egg, then I promptly left her alone! She also has Mille Fluer D'Uccle Roo and Hen she hopes hatch.

Quote:
Yes, that's right. I thought that a page devoted to common faults that can be fixed with the right breeding would be super helpful. It would be a shame for someone to cull a bird for something that can be easily corrected with the right breeding practices. Essentially, help breeders decide what pairings to make to work toward the (proposed) SOP.

I've got 15 BCMs (that will be 6 weeks old tomorrow) that I was hoping to get some opinions on. I plan on keeping two cockerels and five pullets and I've got someone who wants a breeding trio. I'd love it if you guys could look at some pics tomorrow and help me pick out three that will be a good start for her. I don't want to send her anything she won't be able to use as good breeding stock. Most of them look really good, but a couple of the Davis girls have dark brown eyes..which according to what I've read here means they're over-melanised and the eyes will stay dark. But, I can cross them with a cockerel that's a little too coppery, right?

I'm not too sure about the dark eyes having to do with overly melanized birds. All of my BCMs, save for one roo, are over melanized. All have really nice "pumpkin ornage" eye color. Now I do have a light blue chick with dark eyes. She is just over 7 weeks, and they seem to be lightening up somewhat, but I've never had a chick with such a dark eye at any age here.
hu.gif

I agree with Debbi - feather melanization (and shank for that matter) does not always seem directly connected to eye color in BCM. Too many undermelanized birds with dark eyes and too many over melanized birds with correct eyes for that equation to work in my book.

I think there's a difference though between dark eyes and "dirty" eyes. I don't have so much a problem with dark eyes, but some of my birds have dark spots/streaks that dirty up the otherwise correctly colored eye. And I have seen this on both dark and lighter birds.

I've tried to find any definitive studies on eye color genetics, and there are none. As it relates to BCM breeding strategies, I think you have to treat it as a separate entity from feather color. With all the inverse correlations between eye and feather color, feather melanization should probably not weigh into the equation heavily. Dark eyes have been shown to be corrected with a rooster with correct eyes, and I believe that this would still be true if you paired a dark eyed mossy with a correct eyed overmelanized.

Hi - I have a BCM chick that will be four weeks old this week. It only has feathers on it's little wings and it's much smaller than the other chicks in my little flock. I have six chicks - all of a different breed - and I wasn't sure if this was normal for the BCM to be so small. We are brand new to raising chickens.

The chick is eating, drinking, pooping, all normally like the other chicks. When I offer treats the BCM, Blueberry as we call her, is the first in line to eat as well as the mischievous one that teases the others by running around with pieces of bedding in her beak while the other chicks chase her. She (he maybe?) is nearly 1/2 the size of the others.

Not sure if I can post pictures yet since I am new to the forum.

Thanks so much in advance!

Kandi

My turn. What do you think of my BCMs? Does the rooster need a darker copper coloring (or is he a bit to orange)? He does have some white feathers on his feet, and 1 in his wing that you can't see unless he is flapping, which I know are bad qualities. What about the hens?

Drum roll please!!!!!

I have an adult BCM that has been kind of a deadbeat. She laid an egg for me labor day weekend. Then, she laid another the first week of November. This is the primary reason I had for getting Foster, my 7 week old chick (who has turned out to be a roo. I think. -sigh- So, from Sept 1 to today, I have gotten a total of TWO eggs from her.

Until today!!!!!

2491d8aa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom