Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Kansas Gal

Kansas Gal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Hi! I am just learning about the BCM breeds. What does F1 and F2 mean? Is it foundation? Thanks for educating me! [​IMG]

2. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Quote:[​IMG] Hi Kansas Gal! I'm a Kansan, too, originally from the Salina area. I'll let someone answer your question that can explain it better than I can.

I think the white around the eyes or "frosting" as she calls it is different that the white underfluff issue. I've heard the white underfluff is a wheaten influence.

Has anyone here had the small white feathers around the face like this in a bird that wasn't "old" or still a juvenile?

3. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my eggs today! [​IMG] I got my assorted marans eggs today! [​IMG] I got beautiful brown eggs today! [​IMG] Can you tell I'm excited? [​IMG]

The eggs are unmarked, so I'm also going to have the fun of deciding which breeds I got once they hatch. [​IMG] They're resting in the bedroom... ah, birdroom, right now and I plan to set them into the incubator in the morning. I haven't been this excited since I hatched my first blue eggs!! Wheee hah!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. alaina

alaina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    North middle TN
    Yay Cattitude!! [​IMG] I am excited for you!!! Sounds like you are rather close, I am in north middle TN, maybe we can trade birds/eggs later on? [​IMG]

Alaina

5. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Quote:Could this be from being pecked by other chickens? Sometimes in black birds, if there is an injury to the feather folicule (sp?) the new feather will grow in white.
    Its just a guess. It that isn't it, I would probalby go with something genetic and not breed her.

6. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Quote:Could this be from being pecked by other chickens? Sometimes in black birds, if there is an injury to the feather folicule (sp?) the new feather will grow in white.
    Its just a guess. It that isn't it, I would probalby go with something genetic and not breed her.

Thanks. An injury is something I hadn't thought of, but with it being so symmetrical around her eyes and right at the edges on her face, I am inclined to think it is something genetic.

This wouldn't be another exhibit of a wheaten influence, would it?

7. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That sounds good! If I have to make a trip thru that area (and I plan to make one in Oct or Nov) I'll send you a PM and we can see which eggs we might want to trade!

8. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country

Thanks. An injury is something I hadn't thought of, but with it being so symmetrical around her eyes and right at the edges on her face, I am inclined to think it is something genetic.

I have had other breed where this white speckling was visible, It can be eliminated by culling. The birds that have this in their genetic makeup will not need to be any specific age for it to show. I would just use her for eggs and not be worried with it though.

9. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Quote:Thanks. An injury is something I hadn't thought of, but with it being so symmetrical around her eyes and right at the edges on her face, I am inclined to think it is something genetic.

I have had other breed where this white speckling was visible, It can be eliminated by culling. The birds that have this in their genetic makeup will not need to be any specific age for it to show. I would just use her for eggs and not be worried with it though.

I was pretty sure it was genetic, but thought I'd throw out that idea of a injured folicle just incase...

10. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:That sounds good! If I have to make a trip thru that area (and I plan to make one in Oct or Nov) I'll send you a PM and we can see which eggs we might want to trade!

Can I join this trading band wagon? I am in the same area as Alaina maybe we could all get together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by